New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

likewings

Just a quick one...Can anybody tell me the maximum amount of RAM that can be put into a 14" G4 Ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Sure somebody can...you have 128 mb soldered on the motherboard that you can't change and then one slot

In this slot you can have a 1gb stick of PC2100 DDR266 200-pin SO-DIMM

For a total of 1.12 gb

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
wanderingstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Sure somebody can...you have 128 mb soldered on the motherboard that you can't change and then one slot

For a total of 1.12 gb
Perfect! I was actually just going to ask this question myself.

Is this really true? I know you can add a Gig module to the newest generation of iBooks that have 256MB on the motherboard, but I have one of the previous generation 14" G4s that came with 128MB built in to the motherboard plus an additional stick of 128MB. For these Apple claims that you can only add up to 512MB, but I was wondering if that was in fact a limit, or if they just don't certify that that configuration will work and it will actually recognize that much memory.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41

For a total of 1.12 gb
Not really...
The iBooks with 128MB onboard can only take 512MB in the slot, which makes a maximum of 640MB. You can put a 1GB module in it, but it would be wasted money, as the iBook would recognise only 512MB...
Only the newer iBooks with 256MB onboard can take a 1GB module to a max of 1.25GB.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Hmm guess I was reading into wrong on mactracker

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I just figured that I made a little mistake too... the first generation G4 iBooks, came with 256MB onboard, but still couldn't use more than 512MB in the slot.
Only the actual iBook line can take 1GB to a maximum of 1.25GB of RAM...

A good reference for this kind of question, or any kind of hardware spec question, is www.lowendmac.com
There you'll find specs of EVERY Mac, from the very first one 'til the dual 2.5 G5. Even including the Lisa, NeXT and Mac clones.
It's a more complete database than Mactracker. Some older Macs can take more memory than specified by Apple, and LEM has it mentionned in their specs.
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

[QUOTE=Avalon]I just figured that I made a little mistake too... the first generation G4 iBooks, came with 256MB onboard, but still couldn't use more than 512MB in the slot.

i would like to buy APPM9426X/A(12" G4 1Ghz 256 RAM COMBO) is that first geberation G4 ibook?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about software for mac | Need Help Lacing mpegs toghether into a dvd »