New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP too heavy to carry with me every day?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Porsche_Racer32

Porsche_Racer32 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: None Yet

I was wondeing how many of ya'll carry your MB or MBP with you to class work ect? I'm trying to get a feel of which one would be better for me. I am in love with the MBP but the smaller size of the MB may suit me better. I am concerned that carrying the MBP with me to class every day will get tireing. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

No Mac Yet

PC: Compaq Presario M2000
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Well, it depends on a lot of factors: how big are you, what kind of bag do you use (shoulder or backpack), how far do you walk, how many books do you need to carry.

I can tell you my situation and maybe you can relate. I have a 15" MBP that I carry to class pretty much every day. I'm about 6' tall, I usually only have to carry one big textbook and some folders and notebook, I use a messenger bag, and I walk about 5-10 minutes to class. Right now, I'm pretty much at the limit of what I consider comfortable. If I have to carry another book, I can, but it starts to get uncomfortable.

The main issue though is that I use a shoulder bag. When I used a backpack I could carry my MBP and a couple of books without any problem. I would say that if you really want the MBP, just use a backpack and you should be fine unless you're really small.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Wobs

Wobs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche_Racer32 View Post
I was wondeing how many of ya'll carry your MB or MBP with you to class work ect? I'm trying to get a feel of which one would be better for me. I am in love with the MBP but the smaller size of the MB may suit me better. I am concerned that carrying the MBP with me to class every day will get tireing. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!
This might solve your dilemma - I have a 15.4" MBP and Mrs Wobs has a Macbook. The macbook is heavier than the MBP. It's not as good either. So my recommendation is ...... get a decent bag! Look at the INCASE top loader sling bag...... you will never think about a MB again - promise
Cheers
Wobs
QUOTE Thanks
Porsche_Racer32

I have a chrome (the Metropolis, large size)messenger bag that I use. I bike maybe a .25 mile to class or walk. If I walk its probably about a 15 min walk or so. I am 6 ft. Next semester I have 3 of my classes back to back. So potentially i will have to carry 3 text books.

No Mac Yet

QUOTE Thanks
Wobs

Wobs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobs View Post
This might solve your dilemma - I have a 15.4" MBP and Mrs Wobs has a Macbook. The macbook is heavier than the MBP. It's not as good either. So my recommendation is ...... get a decent bag! Look at the INCASE top loader sling bag...... you will never think about a MB again - promise
Cheers
Wobs
Here is the case I refer to, fits MBP 15.4 & 17"
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...ses&nplm=TN012
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I don't know many bags that will have enough room to carry 3 textbooks (I'm assuming pretty thick, 800+ page kind of books like mine) and a laptop (even if it's a Macbook and not a pro), but you will definitely need a backpack no matter what computer you get. With that kind of load you'll want to spread the weight over both shoulders, not just one shoulder like you'll have to with a messenger bag or the Incase bag recommended by someone else. If you can get a backpack, and one with enough room to fit all your stuff, you should be fine with the MBP.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

I carry my MBP with me to all of my classes every day. I use an Incase sleeve to protect it in my backpack.

From the back outwards I go binders, soft books, laptop in sleeve. That way the laptop isn't pressed up against my back, possibly smushing it. I dont think it's heavy at all and I'm not a 'big' person or anything but I am a "youngster" so maybe I just don't mind the weight. 18 y/o, 6'1 @ 165 lb and it doesn't phase me one bit.
QUOTE Thanks
bondapher

bondapher is on a distinguished road

i find that using a backpack is so much better on my shoulders. i carry it to school 3 days a week, programing classes.
QUOTE Thanks
loratliff

loratliff is on a distinguished road

I carry my 15" Powerbook (roughly the same size as a 15" MBP) in a Pinder THIN bag/sleeve - http://www.pinderbags.com/laptopbags.html

It's small enough to use as a sleeve inside of my messenger bag or to carry on it's own.

I'm a girl, 5'8", 140 lbs. and I've had no issue carrying the Pinder bag and a messenger bag. I think you'd have to be very out of shape to have a problem carrying your computer around all day, but that's just me.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

The weight difference between the MB and the 15" MBP really is not enough to notice IMO. Were talkin about a 6 pound computer...ive had text books that weighed more than that.
QUOTE Thanks
Bad Cyborg

Bad Cyborg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobs View Post
The macbook is heavier than the MBP.
This is right out of Apple's specs page. MacBook weighs in at 2.27 kg, whereas MacBook Pro is 2.45 kg.

They're both just as heavy as any 14" notebooks from Compaq or Dell. If you absolutely need your notebook to be light you'd be thinking of the Asus EEE PC, which isn't a bad choice at all if it comes with 8 gig SSD. Might even be able to install a hacked OS X on it.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I carry my 15 PB everyday to and from work. Live in NYC so I am on the train to and from the Bronx. A good bag is necessary!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Porsche_Racer32

powermacj7-what kind of bag do you use? Like I posted above I have a Chrome Messanger bag, the whole strap is EVA foam so its really well padded.
OT-How do you like NY NY? I'm considering moving up there after school.
My only concern was that it may not start out heavy but will end up so.

No Mac Yet

QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

for a bag look at the targus chicago. i love mine!

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TCG650

looks 10x better in person, blue is not light like that at all. office depot had em

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Id go with a backpack style...trying to carry one of those messanger bags filled with textbooks and a laptop among other junk isnt any fun with something that goes over one shoulder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IBOOK Battery Life- Wierd | Cleaning black macbook »