New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Max RAM in Macbooks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Punky

Punky is on a distinguished road

Hey folks,

I've got a Core 1 Duo 2.0 Gigahertz Macbook, purchased around the middle of 2006. I've got 1 gig of RAM in there currently, and want to add more. Apple says that it only takes 2 Gigs max, but I've heard that's an artificial deflation to create a larger gap between the MB and the MB Pro, and that the MB can actually take 3 Gigs of RAM.

Does anyone know about this? Please let me know!

J
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

I believe that you can install up to 4gb but it will only be able to use 3gb, hope that helps you out.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
Hey folks,

I've got a Core 1 Duo 2.0 Gigahertz Macbook, purchased around the middle of 2006. I've got 1 gig of RAM in there currently, and want to add more. Apple says that it only takes 2 Gigs max, but I've heard that's an artificial deflation to create a larger gap between the MB and the MB Pro, and that the MB can actually take 3 Gigs of RAM.

Does anyone know about this? Please let me know!

J
The chipset of the pre November Macbook is the same as the Mac mini. It allows mismatched RAM modules and so you can fit 0.5, 1 and 2 Gb SODIMMS to a maximum of THREE Gb despite what Apple says. You can get 3Gb by fitting a 2Gb and a 1Gb SODIMM. The new model goes up to 4Gb in two 2Gb SODIMMS

You need this 1 x 2Gb 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM + 1 x 1Gb 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i thought the CD macbooks could only do 2GB?

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
i thought the CD macbooks could only do 2GB?
Apple state on their site that the maximum RAM is 2Gb which is probably an artificial limit set by them in order to demonstrate a bigger difference between the Macbook and Macbook pro. They do the same on the Mac pro stating that it can only handle 16Gb even though it uses the same chipset as the Xserver. The reality is that the Macbook CAN go to 3Gb and the Mac pro CAN go to 32Gb.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

officialy the intel base macbooks support up to 2gb of 667mhz of ddr2 so-dimm ram but you can install AND utilise up to 3gb but its more expensive as you are not able to buy packs so u have to buy individual chips, need more info? pm me
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I thought the max in a core duo was 2gb and in a core 2 duo was 3gb. Sorry if I am wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel1 View Post
I thought the max in a core duo was 2gb and in a core 2 duo was 3gb. Sorry if I am wrong.
I am talking about the pre November 2007 machine (when all of them were DVD). The CD only version may or may not be the same but I suspect it is.

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
officialy the intel base macbooks support up to 2gb of 667mhz of ddr2 so-dimm ram but you can install AND utilise up to 3gb but its more expensive as you are not able to buy packs so u have to buy individual chips, need more info? pm me
Just buy the SODIMMS from crucial and it works! Machine specific packs are usually more expensive!

QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel1 View Post
You are correct. Core Duo is only 2GB.

Everyone else, now that there are THREE different generations of MacBooks out there, we have to be careful when making recommendations - we don't want to have people wasting their money.

Here's the current breakdown:

Core Duo Macbook - 2GB max
Core 2 Duo Macbooks - 3GB max
Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa Macbooks - 4GB max
QUOTE Thanks
Punky

Punky is on a distinguished road

Okay. Cool. I have a Core Duo, so I'm supposing that mine only supports 2 Gigs. Thanks. I can get a 2 gig pack for $55 down at Crucial. Thanks for recommending that site, guys and gals!
QUOTE Thanks
Asura

Asura is on a distinguished road

How do I know if I have a Santa Rosa macbook?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. I guess 3gb is my Limit.
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

It's the latest generation released a few weeks ago, when did you buy your macbook? Check in system profile if your front serial bus is 800mhz then it's a santa rosa chip if its 667 then its an older generation.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
trayns

trayns is on a distinguished road

I have a core duo 2
I have 2GB(2 X 1GB) coming via newegg here in a few days.

Ive just realized that I can go up to 3GB. Is it worth returning the new RAM to go up to 3?

Is the difference between 1GB -> 2GB the same as 2GB ->3GB ?
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayns View Post
I have a core duo 2
I have 2GB(2 X 1GB) coming via newegg here in a few days.

Ive just realized that I can go up to 3GB. Is it worth returning the new RAM to go up to 3?

Is the difference between 1GB -> 2GB the same as 2GB ->3GB ?
I would be interested in knowing this as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my Macbook's memory after the new year.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP 15" won't boot..... really worried | CD Drive Spits Out CD's, HELP! »