New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Will this RAM work with a Macbook Core Duo?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Punky

Punky is on a distinguished road

Hey folks,

Will this RAM: http://bfads.net/PNY-2GB-PC5300-DDR2...it-at-Best-Buy

work in my Macbook Core Duo 2.0 Gigahertz? Right now, I've got 1 Gig of RAM and I'd like to kick it up to 2.

Please let me know!

Justin
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig

I THINK it will...but you can spend an extra $10 or $15 and get Crucial....which everyone says is the best ......

Again, I THINK, but I am not 100%.
QUOTE Thanks
Punky

Argh. I just checked the Apple website, and apparently the Macbooks can only accomodate 1 Gig of RAM Per slot, and that's a 2 Gig stick. Drat.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Ignore Apple's web site's advice. The macbook WILL handle 3Gb as one 2Gb stick and one 1Gb stick (JUST LIKE THE OLD Macbook pro did & the Mac mini). They did not give this as an option in order to artificially produce more of a gap between the two computers!! You need 667MHz DDR2 Sodimms such as these

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=548350

If you do not believe me read the packaging on the above item !!!!

The new macbook will of course run 2 x 2Gb.

You MAY also find that changing one of the 0.5Gb modules for a 2Gb module may give you 2.5Gb as it is clear from the above that the computer can handle different sized modules BUT I have never personally tested this myself...

Oh and by the way that is a Dimm not a SODIMM so it will not work anyway !!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I was using the 1 gig stick of the same brand and speed and it worked until I tried to install leopard. Its cheap 4 a reason its not the best and may be buggy. It kept failing when installing leopard I brought it to apple and they put their ram in and it worked fine. I would use RamJet or Crucial..

QUOTE Thanks
Punky

Can anyone link me to somewhere that I can get Macbook compatible RAM for cheap? I've got a Core 1 Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Do a search for kingston ram for a macbook or go to crucial. There will not be a lot in it price wise. You might find it cheaper but it could be a little hit and miss.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to protect the screen? | Wifi hardware disappeared »