New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - 1GB to 2GB RAM, worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

InvalidUserID

InvalidUserID is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone

Hello all,

Last year I purchased my daughter a 2GHZ MacBook (white) that came with 1GB of RAM. For Christmas this year, I was hoping to install some sort of program that would allow her to use Windows and up her RAM to 2GB. Would the extra RAM be beneficial for her (just installed Leopard, if that matters). On my Dell laptop, when I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB, I didn't see much of a difference but I'm sure this MacBook is a different animal.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUserID View Post
Hello all,

Last year I purchased my daughter a 2GHZ MacBook (white) that came with 1GB of RAM. For Christmas this year, I was hoping to install some sort of program that would allow her to use Windows and up her RAM to 2GB. Would the extra RAM be beneficial for her (just installed Leopard, if that matters). On my Dell laptop, when I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB, I didn't see much of a difference but I'm sure this MacBook is a different animal.

Cheers!
If youll be running Windows Vista, the differnece will be quite dramatic...not so much in OS X. It will make it a little bit snappier but dont expect it to be a whole new machine. Youll notice it most in memory intensive tasks like heavy photo and video editing more than anyhting else.
QUOTE Thanks
Wobs

Wobs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz

If you install parallels and run Win XP or other I recommend you add the additional 1GB of RAM. Parallels running on OSX Tiger with 1GB of Ram cripples OSX applications, all becomes quite sluggish and painful. My experience with a Mac Mini 1.8Ghz and 1GB Ram was conclusive to go to 2GB Ram - ran very well. Parallels under Leopard is not fully right yet - depends on how mission critical the windows apps are, or just for fun (is fun the right word for running windows? - no, I think necessity: otherwise none of us would do it!)
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

there is a difference in OSX from 1gb to 2gb, but less of one from 2->4 (depending on basic usage)

for 50$ you can get 1gbx2, highly recommended.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Wobs

Wobs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUserID View Post
Hello all,

Cheers!
You might want to look at the thread called Parallels/Leopard question as this is relevant to your question.
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Running either Parallels or Fusion with less than 2GB would be frustrating with XP. Trying to run Vista with less than 2GB is just plan CRAZY :-)

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfordham281 View Post
Running either Parallels or Fusion with less than 2GB would be frustrating with XP. Trying to run Vista with less than 2GB is just plan CRAZY :-)
I would never run vista with less than 2GB, that is a hog.

but thats how its supposed to work, so good job MS for making an OS finally that uses all ram instead of leaving it unused. I never in all my years understood why OSes did do something like what Vista employs

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

There is the law of diminishing returns working with RAM! 0.5Gb>-1Gb MASSIVE improvement, 1Gb>-1.5 or 2Gb NICE improvement, 2Gb >-4Gb improvement, 4GB ++ possible improvement !!

I have 1.5Gb in my iBook and there was a really noticeable improvement over the standard 0.5Gb. I am running 6Gb on the Mac pro which shows no real improvement over 4Gb MOST of the time (only really with serious photo manipulations)

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

Check out these RAM comparison videos I put up on Youtube if you like:

2GB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz2z1XLSzpQ

1GB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Wwf7f1mgU

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

yes its worth it but would reccommend 3gb if you have the money
QUOTE Thanks
InvalidUserID

InvalidUserID is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I will definately be bumping the RAM up to the 2GB (max for this model) since it is only $50 or so.

fiveightandten...thanks for the vids.
QUOTE Thanks
jj213

jj213 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

Question here does the ram have to be from the apple website or can I just get the ram that will be suitable to this laptop which is the DDR2 SDRAM?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Whatever you do, jj213, do NOT buy it from apple. It is roughly 4 times the cost of getting it from crucial.com or newegg.com

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

i got:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5284717

but it had a 40$ rebate end yesterday i think.yummy 4gb for 110

QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

Yes, do it, believe me it will be better in the long run. If there any problems with the Ram sticks, I heard you can get your money back or brand new ones cause of the delicate.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What do you think of this? | Weird audio device problem »