New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Installed Leopard and now I can't get past the Gray Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeanettet

jeanettet is on a distinguished road

I have an iBook g4 14" display.. the one that came out right before the intel macbooks. I installed Leopard and went through the entire process.. once it was done installing it said i had to restart my computer before continuing.. i clicked the restart button (which popped up in window telling me that the software had successfully been installed and to click restart).. my computer restarted and won't get past the gray screen w/the apple logo and the spinning wheel.. i tried the whole command, option, p, r and still no luck.. i also tried the reset: shift, control, option, power.. didn't work.. is there any way to fix my computer or is it worthless now..? please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

how did you install? upgrade, A&I, or E&I?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

i know it wasn't e&i.. i think it was just an upgrade.. whatever's recommended
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

you might want to try an erase and install, alot of people had have trouble with the upgrade install.

QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

how can i erase and install if i can't get past the gray screen? also, if i do re-install should i erase & install the next time around?
thanks for your quick help
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

can you boot from the CD?

QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

from the leopard cd? do i just hold down c @ the apple logo?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

hold down C as it boots.

QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

ok thanks! i will try this once i get off of work. once it boots do i install and erase?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

yeah, select the erase and install option.

QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

thanks so much! i'll let you know if it does/doesn't work
QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

it worked! except i noticed that iphoto is gone.. i'm not sure if any other apps are missing but i use iphoto a lot and it's completely gone! any help????
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

Hmm, hope you have a backup, you probably should have done an archive and install, although that option might not be available for an iBook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanettet View Post
it worked! except i noticed that iphoto is gone.. i'm not sure if any other apps are missing but i use iphoto a lot and it's completely gone! any help????
QUOTE Thanks
jeanettet

not many option's available.. i was just told to erase and install.. i only have the first disc.. or at least that's what i think.. let me list the CDs i do have.. hah sorry.. note: my first mac was a 17" iMac which i got (still have) around late 2003.. so i have every one of those discs.. which are mixed in w/my sisters discs who go her iMac a year before me, late 2002.. confusing, yes?
iMac: Software Restoration 1-4: Mac OS Versions 10.1.5, 9.2.2 Version 1
iMac: Mac OS X Install Version 10.1.4
iMac: Applications CD Version 1.5
iBook G4: Mac OS X Disc 1 Mac OS Version: 10.4.2 AHT Version: 2.5 Disc Version: 1.0
Mac OSX Install Disc 2 Disc Version: 1.3
pleeeeease let me know if there's anything i can do!! there must be some sort of solution!
QUOTE Thanks
loratliff

loratliff is on a distinguished road

Isn't iPhoto part of the iLife suite of applications?

I always thought so, and if that's the case, then you must have an iLife CD floating around there somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disc drive kapoot? HELP!! | G3 or G4??? »