New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro or 20" iMac? having a hard time deciding

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Airborneforest

Airborneforest is an unknown at this point

Another PC outcast coming over to the "white side" here!

I'm trying to figure out what would be best a 15"/17" Macbook Pro or a 20" iMac? Portability is not a big necessity for me but it would be nice. I do a lot of downloading, Internet, casual at best game playing. Also once I get a digital camera I'll do a bunch of Photoshop and editing.

What's most important is:

-Hard drive space is paramount. But can always add on an external.
-Good graphics processor is important. (I might hook it up to my HDTV and do some PVR'ing)
-Price is not a big deal.

I've been looking at the Macbook Pro's more because it looks like they out perform the 20" iMac's according to specs, right?
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

If price is not a big deal and a huge amount of portability is not needed all the time...

17" MBP!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Airborneforest

Airborneforest is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrfyLube View Post
If price is not a big deal and a huge amount of portability is not needed all the time...

17" MBP!!!!
How you liking your MBP? Ever try and hook it up to your TV? So you would take your 17" MBP over and iMac anyday?
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

i love my 17 inch. occasionally i hook it up to my 50" plasma and play some games on that. its awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneforest View Post
How you liking your MBP? Ever try and hook it up to your TV? So you would take your 17" MBP over and iMac anyday?
Ive connected it to my 50" LCD a few times and it works great for movies and games and stuff...for photo or video editing, i still prefer the smaller screen.

Mines a 15" though...not a 17....but yes, id still take it over an iMac...the 20 inch one at least. I would love to get my hands on one of the 24 inch ones though!!
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

If your going to get serious about photos then go with the MBP and an external large screen, or the 24 iMac, the screen is considerably better than the 20 incher w/gradient issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

If you're only going to have one computer, then you might consider getting a 15" MBP and a nice external display. If you get one of the high quality non-Apple displays, you probably won't be paying any more than the 17" MBP. The reason I say to get a MacBook Pro (rather than the iMac) is the portability factor.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting kernel panics - graphic card? | Bluetooth Module for Wireless Mighty Mouse... »