New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - My ibook g4 died... suggestions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djs148

djs148 is on a distinguished road

okay so my iBook G4 with panther died. they said that they could fix it for 800 dollars. I go to school for photography and i really need a computer asap. Is it worth it to get it fixed or would it make more sense to just buy a cheap macbook or even a refurbished one? I was hoping to make it with my ibook until i graduated (in a year and a half) but because the computer is almost four years old I feel like it's not worth it to keep trying to fix it.
I could really use some opinions because I have no idea what to do!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There's no way I'd pay $800 to fix that machine.

$950 will buy you a refurbished MacBook from Apple, with the standard 1-year Apple warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'd recommend a new computer also

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

Yeah for $800 you could use that to go for a newer macbook refurb. At least you have a nice paper weight now
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Like the others said, it's not worth that much to repair that. Get a New or even Refurb Macbook.

Who said it was dead and would cost that much to repair? What is wrong with the iBook?
QUOTE Thanks
djs148

djs148 is on a distinguished road

the apple store said it would cost that much... the monitor/screen was already broken and then i kinda spilled some water on the keyboard... and then i cried
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Like the others have said, it's not worth spending $800 to fix the iBook. It sounds like your best bet would be a refurbished Macbook.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
macinjosh

macinjosh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook, 2.5 gb ram, 80 gb hd, 120 gb external drive,10.5...8 gb iPod Touch

I had the same thing happen to me with my ibook before I upgraded to a macbook. I was, however able to get it to boot just long enough to wipe the hardrive. I would defiantly go with a refurbished macbook, $800 is a lot of money just to repair an ibook, and you can most likely find a refurbished macbook for $950. Another suggestion is to take apart, remove your hard drive (since you have sensitive data on it) and sell the rest of the ibook on ebay as broken. I was able to do this and got over $200!...hey it's better than a paperweight!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

How has it died? What are it's symptoms?
There are some fixes if it's the logic board.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
connecting_rodd

connecting_rodd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
There's no way I'd pay $800 to fix that machine.

$950 will buy you a refurbished MacBook from Apple, with the standard 1-year Apple warranty.
Personally I wouldn't wish a new macbook on anyone. Their build quality is less than exceptional, their lcd's crack very easily and their keyboard is beathtakingly bad. The macbook pro seems to be better but I haven't had use to use one for an extended time.

I would recommend getting the old ibook fixed on look into getting a good used g4 ibook
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

My LCD hasnt easily cracked and my keyboard infact is pretty nice to type on... and yes my poorly built macbook is over 15 months old

(With that in mind, id agree with the others, get yourself a referb macbook or similar)

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Macbook is no worse in build quality than the iBook. I can break any display or ruin any notebook out there if I really wanted to and get rough enough with it.

The keyboard on the iBook is excellent. It takes a day to get used to it, but after that I love it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM Question | MACBOOK Ram on SALE CHEAP!!! »