New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - New Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMusicGeek

MacMusicGeek is on a distinguished road

Ok so I just ordered my first mac today and I am really excited!! So anyone got some good advice for a new switcher? Also I was wondering what the easiest way to transfer all my music and pictures from my PC to my new mac is... I don't have an external hard drive yet but i think i will get one around Christmas..

BTW: Its the base macbook pro with the 160gb hard drive...

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

That's exactly what I opted for in September (base MacBook Pro with 160 GB). I would say the most important thing is to not get frustrated with it. You don't know how to do a lot of thing yet. SO WHAT??? This is a chance for you to learn computing all over again! Keep a positive outlook and don't evaluate it by comparing it to your Windows computer. Also, ask a lot of questions on this forum. You'll be up to speed in no time.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
akanik

akanik is on a distinguished road

It only took me about 1 hour to change all the immediate settings for the Macbook Pro once I got leopard installed. Some things from a PC background seem counter intuitive, but all in all it's really simple.

As far as your files, are your computers connected to a wireless router? I haven't connected back to my PC yet, so there may be additional configuration steps, but you should be able to connect and share them across the network.

OR, you could transfer them on your ipod
OR you could burn them onto CDs (if you have MP3 files).
ORRRR.... no, that's all I have.

Some things that I would recommend off the bat are to update your software. Especially if you are using Leopard. My shipped version of Leopard would not run the ilife suite of apps until I updated them all.

Secondly, I would recommend downloading a fan control utility. I didn't find that the macbook regulated it's fans too well (and honestly not perfectly with the fan utility).

Then of course you can download free apps to handle your FTP, Media playback, etc. I personally hate quicktime, and am STILL trying to remove it as the standard media player for some file extensions, but whatever.

I am still in the first week of owning my macbook pro, I love it!
QUOTE Thanks
bd-in-pdx

bd-in-pdx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction

Use the wireless option if you can. As long as you have the user/pass for your pc you can pretty quickly and easily connect to it (Command+K) for a direct transfer. Or an ethernet cable tethering the two will allow the same thing. I've never connected the two with a USB 2 cable but I understand it's possible... forum experts??? Burning tunes to DVD/CD is also an excellent way to transfer music AND back up your tunes. Have fun, and welcome aboard.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMusicGeek

MacMusicGeek is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot everyone for the quick responses! Im thinking ill back them up on disks that way I can transfer them and back them up... Im so excited!! I just cant wait till it gets here...

Thanks for all the help!
QUOTE Thanks
ATLienGeorgia

ATLienGeorgia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black

I am jealous. I am still saving up for my first MAC (MBP). I am hoping to get it soon. MBP are just so expensive! I hope to get one around Christmas time.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin Cope

Justin Cope is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2003 17" Powerbook G4 1ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd.

I backed up my Mac to a PC once and used FTP protocol. I just hooked my apple and PC up to the same network and then put in my macs IP on my favorite FTP program for PC. Using FTP was a great cross platform tool. If I were you I would download a good PC ftp program (like filezilla if you don't have one) and put in my apple's IP address. Then you can just drag and drop. Oh yeah, I think your login info is your OSX administrator account name and PW. Haven't tried this with Leopard but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

"What do you mean your computer's hooked up directly to the net with no firewall?!"
**I love all apples.**
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for an affordable mac. | need help choosing a hard drive........ »