New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

system restart

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nwilcox

on my powerbook, the screen just all of a sudden got darker and a box came up that said i had to restart the computer (with a big picture of the power button in the background)...

what happened?

all that I was going was checking my yahoo mail.

is this bad? how can I prevent it again?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It sounds like you had a Kernal Panic.... Did it say this in a couple other languages as well?

This happens although rarely but isn't going to ruin your system. I would run checks on your Disk Permissions.

If it happens more than once and its happening while doing the same thing you could try to stop doing that thing to see if it solves your problem

If it continues to happen frequently (I have never had one in over a year so don't know how frequently frequently is on these) it could be a hardware problem for apple to take a look at

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jwindhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilcox
on my powerbook, the screen just all of a sudden got darker and a box came up that said i had to restart the computer (with a big picture of the power button in the background)...

what happened?

all that I was going was checking my yahoo mail.

is this bad? how can I prevent it again?
Definitely a Kernel Panic. I stumble upon them from time to time when my machine is "thinking extra hard" - it's like a brain fart of sorts. I work for at a photo studio where we do digital editing and mass image crunching/moving processing etc. so we get thme from time to time.

Not a big deal unless you notice a theme i.e. string of them.
QUOTE Thanks
nwilcox

i was only running safari and checking my email...i think it just had a "brain fart".

how do I "run checks on my disk permissions"?

-N

new to mac...but never will go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
It sounds like you had a Kernal Panic.... Did it say this in a couple other languages as well?

This happens although rarely but isn't going to ruin your system. I would run checks on your Disk Permissions.

If it happens more than once and its happening while doing the same thing you could try to stop doing that thing to see if it solves your problem

If it continues to happen frequently (I have never had one in over a year so don't know how frequently frequently is on these) it could be a hardware problem for apple to take a look at
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

select the Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk Permissions

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB Problems (Dead Pixels and Combo Drive) | How can I connect my old SCSI scanner? »