New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - That was a little weird...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Ok...
I was browsing the forums and then went to go eat breakfast.
All I left open was Finder, Firefox, Safari, and Adium. I got back from breakfast. My screensaver was running and the fans were at full speed.
I quickly opened up dashboard to take a look at iStat Pro and found that my CPU was at 77*C. I tried to open Activity Monitor to see what was using my computer like that, and all it did was bounce in the dock. I tried to open system preferences, and all it did was bounce in the dock. Any thing I tried to open, just bounced in the dock. I then went to the apple menu to restart my computer, and it did not come up. However, everything I left open was running fine. (I could still browse the forums, etc.) I had to restart by holding down my power button. Now everything is back to normal.

What in the world just happened to my computer?

btw: See sig for specs

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
akanik

akanik is on a distinguished road

Are you running leopard?

I'm not too familiar with the OS yet, but I've experienced and read about a lot of quirks with it. My keyboard routinely stops responding after I bring it out of sleep, and recently my Adobe CS3 apps all refuse to quit or undo (eek)but otherwise function perfectly.

Also, the fan control is nuts and sometimes my fans go ape for no reason or don't go ape enough for a real reason.

Hopefully some of this stuff will be resolved. I know I bought a product with an OS that is two weeks on the market, but I was expecting a much more reliable operation.

I'm crossing my fingers for leopard updates. Tiger didn't do all that did it?
QUOTE Thanks
jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

Yeah I had the same heat issue. Leopard sucks, lol!

While browsing the web it got up to 90* and the fans were still sitting at 3500 RPM. I had to use a program to crank them up to 6,000 RPM. It cooled down to 32* pretty quickly. * = degree Celcius

Leopard also broke my FireWire. >:O
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

I am running leopard.
Im not really experiencing that many problems with it either.
I had the keyboard problem once and this fan problem once too
I consider myself pretty lucky
However, leopard does not control the fans (does it?) I always thought it was the firmware for system management controller that did it.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking about using sandpaper on Macbook | Standy and Itunes »