New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Scared to upgrade to 10.3 from 9.1


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
remltr

 
remltr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 22, 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 53
remltr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema

remltr is offline
I like the current look and feel of 9.1.

I like the fact that all my current software works (Freehand 10, Illustrator 10, Quark 5, Photoshop 5.2, Pagemaker 6.5, PCMaclan, etc.) with 9.1.

I like the fact that my fonts work.

But I feel the wave approaching that if I don't buy a different boat, I am going to go keel up.

I don't mind making the switch except for all the other software I will probably have to replace in order to be compatible with OSX.

Will I still be able to network with my other 9.1 mac and my windows 98 pc?

Is there more to gain than I am going to lose?

Am I being overly cautious?

Insight from those who have made the change would be greatly appreciated.

remltr...

:eek:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Not knowing what you do, here goes. If you are a designer, then you will have to change to keep out with your clients. Some of the application you use can be run in the classic mode. I know that photoshop and illustrator works. I can not say how fast, since I only do simple things, with both. If you replace the hardware, you will have to update your software.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
lar5one
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I do music and yes, I did have to upgrade my software, but apart from that, I only feel that I gained from switching to OSX.

...and if you are very worried, why not make it a dual-boot system with both 9 and X installed? Works for me
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

 
Padawan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 21, 2003
Location: Coruscant, Galactic Republic
Posts: 1,185
Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Padawan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar5one
...and if you are very worried, why not make it a dual-boot system with both 9 and X installed? Works for me
Exactly how I have my G3 AIO set up.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

 
IanCT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2004
Location: California
Posts: 497
IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

IanCT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by remltr
I like the fact that all my current software works (Freehand 10, Illustrator 10, Quark 5, Photoshop 5.2, Pagemaker 6.5, PCMaclan, etc.) with 9.1.
Adobe apps may run in Classic mode, but don't bet it'll be too snappy. If you can afford the apps for OS X, go for it. Otherwise dual boot would be the best way to go as lar5one suggests.

Quote:
I like the fact that my fonts work.
They'll still work.

Quote:
But I feel the wave approaching that if I don't buy a different boat, I am going to go keel up.

I don't mind making the switch except for all the other software I will probably have to replace in order to be compatible with OSX.

Will I still be able to network with my other 9.1 mac and my windows 98 pc?
Keeping up with the times is important, but usually you only need to upgrade if the new system offers you something that the old one doesn't. In this case, 9.1. I still know people that use 9.1, not that they need to, but they have no need to upgrade either, so they stick with it until they see that someone has OS X and they like the looks or features, or both.

You'll still be able to network with Windows, probably easier and better than before. I don't remember being to network with 9.1 to MS Windows all that easily without using Dave. With OS X, you don't need Dave. You can, but I haven't had the need and I share two printers, and do file sharing from my iMac 17", and with my PB to other PC's in the house.

Being cautious is always worthwhile when you're thinking of upgrading.

When you do, I would do a clean install though, but backup all your critical data first, of course.
QUOTE Thanks
msgraphik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Same uneasy feelings here. I just completed my switch. Yep it's time to spend $ and keep up. OSX has been out for about three years and you can be happy with 10.3.3 as a solid OS. Buy another Mac and keep using your old one as needed until you make the total jump. I'm setting up a client like that now. Dual boot units are the smoohtest way. But if you get only a OSX bootable be sure to keep your old Mac around for a back up. Comfort comes fast in OSX.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Installing X | A Few Questions »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Lost modem after upgrade to 10.3 Evil Homer Apple Notebooks 1 07-12-2004 03:41 PM
Upgrading from 9.0 to OSX 10.3 Panther TRegner OS X - Operating System 8 02-02-2004 04:14 PM
powerbook & g4 upgrade card trouble jean poole Apple Notebooks 0 01-12-2004 04:51 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?