New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - I Tried to install Mac OS X 10.4 but I cant: It said: Mac OS X cannot be installed on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frank358fr

frank358fr is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I have a iBook clamshell G3.
Here the specs:
iBook G3 (July 21, 1999) First iBook (Tangerine)
12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (800x600 max resolution)
PowerPC G3 300 MHz
66 MHz bus
128 MB RAM (soldered to logic board)
3 GB Hard Disk (ATA-33 Controller)
CD-ROM
USB, Ethernet
Mac OS 10.3.9
I tried to install Mac OS X 10.4 but a window pop-up and said that: Max OS X 10.4 cannot be install on this computer: See the list of compatible computer. Why can't I install Mac OS X 10.4?
Need help
Thank you
Frank
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Is this a full retail install Tiger CD set or are you trying to use an install disk that came with another Mac?

Also according to the minimum system requirements you don't have enough RAM and does your iBook have built-in FireWire? That's one of the requirements for Tiger...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Is this a full retail install Tiger CD set or are you trying to use an install disk that came with another Mac?

Also according to the minimum system requirements you don't have enough RAM and does your iBook have built-in FireWire? That's one of the requirements for Tiger...
I am pretty sure you just hit the nail on the head. I remember when I got tiger the night it came out, you had to have a Mac with Firewire and a DVD Drive. I am pretty sure Tiger will not install on that first Clamshell. I will check around to be sure.
QUOTE Thanks
redrooster524

redrooster524 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 orig. ibooks and also found out that 10.4 (retail) wouldn't install on them. Yes because they don't have a firewire port. I have read however, that the can run 10.4. My only thought is to take out that 3 GB HD and install a larger one, as you'll need it for an OS of that size. You might want to try to install on the new larger HD while it is NOT in the ibook. If you have an external firewire drive you wouldnt mind opening up. You could put a HD in it, install 10.4 on it, remove it from the external device, and now physically install the 10.4 loaded HD in the ibook G3. Not sure if that will work but would get you around the no firewire thing. I saw this as too much of a hassle and am running 10.3.9 on both g3 ibooks.

--LOVE ME OR HATE ME... NO IN-BETWEEN.--
(Two) G5 Dual 1.8 GHz 2GB / G4 466 MHz 1GB / ibook G4 1.2 GHz / ibook G3 Blueberry 300 MHz / ibook G3 Graphite 333 MHz / imac G3 blue 366MHz.
QUOTE Thanks
frank358fr

frank358fr is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 30GB HD on my iBook and I dont have any firewire port. I think I will sell it(iBook) and buy another mac with all the requirements to install 10.4 or 10.5.
Thank you folks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading HDD | New Macbook Media Control Keys »