Thread: Newbie

I searched but I didn't really find what I am looking for. My macbook pro runs kind of hot and I have smcfancontrol installed but I am afriad to run it at 6000 rpm to cool it off. It gets hot and then it will cool off by itself, I have the default fans running at about 2500 rpm but it still gets kind of hot somtimes, can anyone suggest one of those cooling fans that you can put under your laptop to help cool it off?

SF Bay Area, CA
    See Sig...
    The Vantec LapCool 2 and 3 are good. They don't seem to do much for the actual CPU temperatures, but they will keep the case cooler. And these machines all run very hot. Admittedly, other notebooks do too (though not all of them), and the MBPs. But, that being said, from what I can tell, the MBP has a design flaw with the heatsink mounting system and that's what causes these particular machines to get so hot. Not much that can be done about it... nothing, in fact, without voiding your warranty.

Anyhow, links to the coolers: -LapCool 2, without USB hub -LapCool 2, with USB hub -LapCool 3, without USB hub.

The Thermaltake iXoft doesn't do a bad job either, especially for a fanless cooler. It does much better than any other fanless cooler I've found. I've got both the Vantec LapCool 2 and the Thermaltake. I use the LapCool at my desk and the iXoft when I'm not home. -Black iXoft -White iXoft
    Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
    MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
    G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA

Thread Information