MickMAC
    How do I copy a DVD?
    I want to make a copy of some of my dvds to my hard drive so I can watch them later or when I am on the road without having the dvd along, I did a forum search but they all said how to copy from a dvd to a dvd, I want to be able to watch right from the hard drive!

Thanks

menace3054
    each dvd is going to be around 5 gb so i dont know why exactly you would want to do that... but.. you would just need a ripper and copy the movie file to the hd. try using "dvd backup", you can get it from versiontracker.com

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
    download from usenet, mount the .img

if anyone know hows to convert the dvd files into .img that'd be wonderful

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    usenet? Can you please elaborate?

jwindhall
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
    usenet? Can you please elaborate?
    Zip over to versiontracker.com and run a search for 'DVD ripper' , it'll yield a few. I've heard "hand brake" (i think that is what is called) is ap

tariq
    Handbrake is pretty popular: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I just started getting into video conversion (working on DVD to SVCD) and 0SEx (http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/) is pretty good for a free DVD ripper. Just extract the Title/Chapters you want and then you can watch the extracted VOB files with VLC straight away (no additional work is required).

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
    on usenet you usually have to either have an isp that has good retention (i.e does not delete week-old posts) or pay a minute monthly charge from a place like www.usenetserver.com . You can find lots of stuff in binary groups such as movies that you own to back up but you can't backup yourself. alt.binaries.dvd is a start. The easiest reader I've found is hogwasher but that has a 60 day trial. I prefer to still use my PC for newsgroup activity, it's ten times easier on PC than mac (one of the very few things my PC is better at than my new mac book....that and doom 3).

Specs:
    15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
    The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you. There are only a few that acutally make the computer say, "This disk has copyright protection." There you go. Done. I would suggest to get a portable, one of those small LaCie Databank HDs so you can put your DVDs on that. Thats is what I did.

Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987
    The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you.
    I tried making a disc image, but it didn't work at all for me. Use DVD Backup 1.3, and then use DVD Remaster to compress it. A 7.4GB dual layer disc copied to the HD will compress down to about 4.4 GB, and the quality is still excellent. Just open DVD Player, and select File > Open VIDEO_TS folder and browse to it on your HD.

Thread Information