New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How do I copy a DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MickMAC

I want to make a copy of some of my dvds to my hard drive so I can watch them later or when I am on the road without having the dvd along, I did a forum search but they all said how to copy from a dvd to a dvd, I want to be able to watch right from the hard drive!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

each dvd is going to be around 5 gb so i dont know why exactly you would want to do that... but.. you would just need a ripper and copy the movie file to the hd. try using "dvd backup", you can get it from versiontracker.com
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

download from usenet, mount the .img

if anyone know hows to convert the dvd files into .img that'd be wonderful
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

usenet? Can you please elaborate?
QUOTE Thanks
jwindhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
usenet? Can you please elaborate?
Zip over to versiontracker.com and run a search for 'DVD ripper' , it'll yield a few. I've heard "hand brake" (i think that is what is called) is ap
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

Handbrake is pretty popular: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I just started getting into video conversion (working on DVD to SVCD) and 0SEx (http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/) is pretty good for a free DVD ripper. Just extract the Title/Chapters you want and then you can watch the extracted VOB files with VLC straight away (no additional work is required).
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

on usenet you usually have to either have an isp that has good retention (i.e does not delete week-old posts) or pay a minute monthly charge from a place like www.usenetserver.com . You can find lots of stuff in binary groups such as movies that you own to back up but you can't backup yourself. alt.binaries.dvd is a start. The easiest reader I've found is hogwasher but that has a 60 day trial. I prefer to still use my PC for newsgroup activity, it's ten times easier on PC than mac (one of the very few things my PC is better at than my new mac book....that and doom 3).
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you. There are only a few that acutally make the computer say, "This disk has copyright protection." There you go. Done. I would suggest to get a portable, one of those small LaCie Databank HDs so you can put your DVDs on that. Thats is what I did.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beret9987
The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you.
I tried making a disc image, but it didn't work at all for me. Use DVD Backup 1.3, and then use DVD Remaster to compress it. A 7.4GB dual layer disc copied to the HD will compress down to about 4.4 GB, and the quality is still excellent. Just open DVD Player, and select File > Open VIDEO_TS folder and browse to it on your HD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just got a pb and have questions? | is this the right ram for my pb? »