New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - My computer is dead!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Well, just like the title says, my computer is dead. It fell only about 1 foot onto tile, and I got the beach ball so I restarted it. Now it won't boot up. Not the normal way or booting from the Leopard disc. It just brings up an image of a file with a question mark that flashes at me. Is my computer dead??? Please help.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The cause of computer failure following a drop is generally attributed to a damaged hard drive. Macbooks have a sudden motion sensor that prevents that sort of damage, but since it was only a one foot fall, I'm thinking the sensor didn't have enough time to "park" the hard drive. So in all likelihood, you have a broken hard drive and a swap could very well fix it.

Is there are visible damage to the outside such as dents or scratches? If not, then take it to an Apple Store or call up Apple to try and get it fixed under warranty. Since you have a MBP, you're going to have to send it in to get the hard drive replaced.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If it's just the harddrive, you should at least be able to boot from the DVD… did you wait a while before letting go of 'C'?
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

I just got it to boot from dvd after holding down c for longer. When I run disk utility or startup disk, it can't find my HD. It only shows the DVD drive. There are no scratches or visible damage, so I'm going to take it to the Apple Store. Hopefully they'll fix it for me. Do they do repairs at the store or will they have to send it away. I ask, because I have papers on there that I need to finish ASAP for school.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I hope you had a backup. I would agree the drop killed the Hard Drive. Seen it happen so many times. Sorry and hope you lost no important data.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Unfortunately, no. I don't have a backup. i never learned how before, and I am in the process of saving up for an external drive for Time Machine.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you won't be getting those papers back, at least not until you spend ridiculous amounts of money on a data recovery service.

Since the hard drive isn't easily accessible on a MBP like it is on a regular Macbook, I'm 99% sure you'll have to send it in to get it repaired.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Well, the hard drive is trashed. However, they will be able to replace it in house. As soon as the replacement HD arrives, they will install it and give me a call. So, I'm upset that I held off buying a backup drive for time machine just because I couldn't yet afford a firewire HD. At least I don't have to pay for the repair. Possibly the worst thing is that I will, AGAIN, have to install XP on my computer! Haha. What a pain that is.

QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Well, the good news is that I have my computer back. It works now. They estimated that it would be 3-5 days, but it only took them about 3 hours! So, while I am going through the pain of reinstalling everything, including XP, it could be a lot worse, right?

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
Well, the good news is that I have my computer back. It works now. They estimated that it would be 3-5 days, but it only took them about 3 hours! So, while I am going through the pain of reinstalling everything, including XP, it could be a lot worse, right?
Exactly. Now get a free 2GB mozy.com account and start backing at least some of your stuff up. Then get a external hdd for christmas.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
So glad to hear it all worked out for you and so fast also!

Now as soon as you can afford it, get a nice Firewire/USB 2.0 External and back up your stuff!!
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Definitely

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

that's a real drag thunder, but kudos' to Apple yet again.

knock on wood, my mbp has been dropped or knocked off the side table at least 4 or 5 times between 1' and 3' (onto carpeted floor though) and no problems so far. But, does point to why with only a single backup type, a bootable backup for me is much better course to take than Time Machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Wow! That was quite a horror story, Thunder. Sorry you had to go through this. Like bob says, look into getting yourself an external hard drive to systematically back up all your stuff. And backup right before installing any software or OS update. If you use SuperDuper!, it'll be bootable.

It's not yet compatible with Leopard but it should be real soon. David Nanian does an excellent job.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So I bought a Macbook Pro..what next | RAM/Memory »