New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Ram: 2 Gigs vs 4 Gigs Macbook Pro 2.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tacomahunter

tacomahunter is on a distinguished road

Hello All,
As a 30 day old Mac user (yippee so far) I have a new macbook pro 2.2 with 2 gigs ram installed. I have read a ton of posts about people installing 4 gigs total ram even on new machines. So the question is:
Do you all just have $$ burning in your pockets for Ram upgrades? or does it REALLY make that big of a difference? I have running Leopard.
Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Do you find the computer stalling, and bogged down alot? If its running fine, and you arent having any issues with the above, you probably don't need the extra 2GBs.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

It depends what you are doing really. 2 GB is enough for most people but if you are really multi-tasking and doing lots of multimedia work or video games than 4 would be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Going from 2GB to 4GB made a dramatic, noticeable difference to me.

My primary desktop (Windows XP) and my MBP are very similar from a CPU standpoint... They both have 2.4GHz Core2Duos, though the MBP has a slower bus speed. They also both have (or had, in the case of the MBP) 2GB of RAM, though the desktop has 4 512MB sticks of DDR400 and is running an i865 chipset (yes, you can run the C2D on an 865... if you know which board to get), while the MBP had 2 1GB sticks of DDR2-667, and is running an i965 chipset.

The MBP was ALWAYS slower than my desktop, to the point where I began considering selling or returning it. The most obvious, annoying issue was that typing in text boxes like this one was laggy to the point of dropping letters if an icon in the dock was bouncing. A fresh install of OSX did not cure this (not that this is surprising, the issue appeared the first day I owned the machine). Going to 4GB effectively eliminated this issue, and all of the other lags and slowdowns I was experiencing. I can now switch back and forth between the two without tearing my hair out while on the Mac.

For someone that is used to a slow machine, someone that doesn't have particularly high expectations of performance (read: someone who's never used a fresh, clean install of XP SP2 or 2k with nothing but the device drivers, AVG, Firefox and an IM client installed on a high end dual core/dual processor workstation), or someone who only uses their machine for basic stuff-not running as many as 20 or 30 Firefox tabs at once, plus Adium, Colloquy, Skype, Hardware Monitor, Photoshop and Winamp via Crossover like I do-2GB is sufficient.

If, on the other hand, you want the most performance you can get out of your SR MB/MBP, consider 4GB of RAM a necessity.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Biodiesel

Mac_Biodiesel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5

RAM is the most important upgrade you can give to your computer in terms of the effect it will have on performance. Like the previous poster said, if you aren't happy with your performance or think it could be better, then more RAM is what you want.

A tip I picked up off another forum is that RAM for laptops isn't always available in later years. You may not need it now, but in 3 years when applications and MacOS have advanced and become even more RAM hungry, you may want it....and the RAM you need may not be sold anymore.

If you're already spending over $2k for the MBP, and extra $320 at Crucial.com for 4GB RAM doesn't seem like a whole lot. Hopefully, you'll be able to sell your old RAM to someone, too.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

The more programs you run, the more RAM you want. Watch your RAM usage, and if you start getting around the 75% used range it would be a good investment to go with more RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Biodiesel View Post
RAM is the most important upgrade you can give to your computer in terms of the effect it will have on performance.
is that so?
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Biodiesel View Post
RAM is the most important upgrade you can give to your computer in terms of the effect it will have on performance. Like the previous poster said, if you aren't happy with your performance or think it could be better, then more RAM is what you want.

A tip I picked up off another forum is that RAM for laptops isn't always available in later years. You may not need it now, but in 3 years when applications and MacOS have advanced and become even more RAM hungry, you may want it....and the RAM you need may not be sold anymore.

If you're already spending over $2k for the MBP, and extra $320 at Crucial.com for 4GB RAM doesn't seem like a whole lot. Hopefully, you'll be able to sell your old RAM to someone, too.
320$ for ram? yike....160ish from newegg.... 2x2gb 667

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So frustrating uuuuuuuuh!!! Help PLEASE | Newbie »