ibook weight change if upgraded
    I'm interested in getting a new ibook 12inch, but I want to be able to take it wherever I go, so weight is a big concern. My question is -- if I upgrade to a 60gb hard drive, 512 ram, and add an airport card -- how much will the weight change from the initial 4.9 pounds?

12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    The higher-capacity hard drive probably wouldn't change the weight at all. (It just packs the data in more densely on the platters.)

The AirPort card and extra memory module would add a very slight amount of weight...maybe two ounces. (Guestimate.)

Anybody feel like pulling a RAM stick and AirPort card out and putting them on a laboratory balance?

Lol, you won't notice a thing. Like technologist mentioned, they won't add much weight and I'd guess the upgrades would add around 0.05lbs.

Enjoy your new iBook

at 512 ram and 60 gig hard drive, will my ibook be comparable enough to a powerbook, or is it worth the upgrade? the extra battery life on the ibook is a big draw for me.

Since you're getting the Aiport Card and larger hard drive, why not consider buying a stock PowerBook? The difference in cost is only $346 (could be even less if you use EDU or ADC discount) and it comes with a built-in Aiport Card and 60GB hard drive. Choosing the PowerBook, you get a faster, more capable machine thats compatible with upcoming Core Image in Tiger (iBook isnt) and its also lighter than an iBook. As for the battery life, I don't think theres a big difference, maybe 30min or less, unless you know otherwise.

To address your question though, yes I think it would be comparable if you're just using it for Word, surfing and light loads, but anything beyond that I would bet the PowerBook would outperform.

Lastly, don't buy the RAM from Apple, you can get it cheaper elsewhere (ie.

Oh and whichever laptop you choose, get as much RAM as possible, the standard 256MB is too low for OS X and adding more will provide a significant increase in speed.

Thread Information