New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12" or 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_noobie

can anyone give me the specs. on the previous generation 15" powerbook... What I really want to know was if it had gigabit enthernet, pc 2700 ram, and firewire 800? Also how big is a difference between 1ghz and 1.33 ghz G4? What really makes me want it is the graphics card, I like ati much more than Nvidia. Both will cost me the same... and I would be buying the 15" through the apple special deals section.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

well im pretty sure that the last gen of pbs had firewire 800. Came out right before the revision. The processor does make a whole loads difference. I feel it when I use a 1Ghz 12" or when I go in to the Apple Store and fiddle with my dream machine (12" 1.33Ghz). I might not acutally get a PB in 8 months though. I might acutally wait for a G5 version because I am a video editor and DV editing require alot of power that the G4 can put out but the G5 just does it so much faster saving me time and money. If the battery is short though, forget and the G4 is mine.

Interesting Fact: A G4 1.42Ghz DP system can outrun a G5 1.6Ghz. Interesting ain't it? Sorry to tell you that to all of you Single Processor G5 users/owners out there. Its still fast!
QUOTE Thanks
HazelGirl

I am just wondering...what makes you choose your screen size? How can you read the tiny screen of the 12 inch? Share! The 12 inch is cute and the 15 is a nice size but oh the magnificant 17.....me want!
QUOTE Thanks
Blue_Dawg

I t has to do with personal preference and how much you want to see on the screen at any given time. Best advice is to go play with each one and see what you like best. I take my iBook everywhere so I got the 12" to make it easier to haul. But that is just what works for me.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I think that it comes down to the portability factor. You'll want to think about, where exactly your mac will be going with you. Will it be for home use mostly? Or mostly traveling on the road? Or a little of both?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I stepped down from a 14-inch display on my Compaq to a 12-inch on my PowerBook. I don't really notice the difference.

Now that I'm used to the small size of the PowerBook, my Compaq feels *really* heavy. I don't think I'll own another large (13" or more) laptop again in my life.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffshen

I thought the 12" pwrbk was small, so i got the 15" one, which would barely fit into the laptop bag i got. It really depends, do you want to lug something to big around the place, assuming you are getting a laptop to lug around... the 17" is thin, however, huge... and the 12" is thick, but small... so it really depends on what you want to do with it... but I am happy with my 15" one at the moment, the screen is big enough and it is not that bulky to handle.

Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
flyingpostman

I already have a desktop that is a 20" so I purchased the 12" Powerbook because I wanted something that was easily portable, easy to use around the house, and sits comfortably on my lap (you can't say that about the 17"). The screen is not that small, once you get working with it, you hardly notice. Expose really helps if you've got many windows open. For browsing the web, typing up some documents, and playing some simple games it is perfect. It wouldn't be suitable for editing large images, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks
untoastytoast

Here's the way i see it, if money is no object of course: 12" if you do lots of traveling, 17" would be good for working on lots of applications at once and having a bigger screen is just nicer anyways, and then the 15" is a happy medium between the two, which is what i would get if i had the money.
QUOTE Thanks
HazelGirl

off topic rant: WHY CAN'T THERE BE A FREE POWERBOOKS.COM??

end of rant...back on topic:

Thanks for the responses. Aw, maybe I'll just win the lottery and buy one of each
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelGirl
off topic rant: WHY CAN'T THERE BE A FREE POWERBOOKS.COM??

end of rant...back on topic:

Thanks for the responses. Aw, maybe I'll just win the lottery and buy one of each
I'm sure some of the mods would be thrilled, if that happened. :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I intended for my PB to be a sort of desktop replacement (kinda). I have a pretty fast, brand new PC, but I do lots of graphic design and audio recording work. I wanted the big screen for the design aspect, so I got the 17". True, it's not the easiest thing to lug around the airport, but I'm fully used to it. And, as someone mentioned what expose can do for the 12" screen, imagine what it can do on a 17"! And, the 17" may be huge, but its thin, the weight is distributed properly, so to me, it actualy feels quite light. Here's what I'd suggest, get whatever you can afford screenwise, and still have money to upgrade your Ram to at least 1 GB. AN dodn't buy the upgrade from apple, they're way overpriced.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beret9987
well im pretty sure that the last gen of pbs had firewire 800. Came out right before the revision. The processor does make a whole loads difference. I feel it when I use a 1Ghz 12" or when I go in to the Apple Store and fiddle with my dream machine (12" 1.33Ghz). I might not acutally get a PB in 8 months though. I might acutally wait for a G5 version because I am a video editor and DV editing require alot of power that the G4 can put out but the G5 just does it so much faster saving me time and money. If the battery is short though, forget and the G4 is mine.

Interesting Fact: A G4 1.42Ghz DP system can outrun a G5 1.6Ghz. Interesting ain't it? Sorry to tell you that to all of you Single Processor G5 users/owners out there. Its still fast!
In rendering or daily tasks? Rendering in FCP or AE the DP is awesome but only in DP designed apps. My DP 1.25GHz can't beat a G5 on daily but it keeps up in PS and AfterEffects vs. 1.6GHz G5. The FSB and the G5 handle almost all tasks faster than a G4 right now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!! Important question...power converters | iBook Mod »