New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12 inch Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Animatronica

Hello, I was curious what type of power book this is. The specs are as follows: 800mhz G4 with 1mb L3 Cache, 60gb HD, 12inch screen, 10/100/1000 ethernet, svideo, dvi ports, firewire 400, usb, Type 1/2 cardbus slot. That is all I know of the specs..oh it has an apple airport card. From what I have read..its a DVI Powerbook but I have only seen the DVI Powerbook in the 15inch model...did they also make a 12inch version? Any suggestions on the type of PB this is? Oh and if you are wondering why i'm asking. its because I found one on yahoo auctions for 900.00 and I wanted to check into it before I did anything

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

There is a 12 Inch DVI Powerbook. It was released in 9/2003. Funny thing though,those are using a 1Ghz G4. Not sure whats is yours. How much RAM does it have? If it is 640MB, chances are that it is a 867Mhz G4 12" Powerbook. Otherwise, I'm lost. 800Mhz G4? Help anyone? It ain't no iBook for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
pedXing

Dunno...never heard of that setup...sry
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

they never made a 12" powerbook with 800mhz. The first 12" powerbook had 867mhz, I wouldn't buy it, it's probably a scam of some sort since the seller can't even get the specs right.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I didn't ever see the 12" for myself except for the 1ghz first. Then I saw my friend had the 876....so, I assumed there were more...but I guess I'm wrong. Were there no 12" TI powerbooks? I can't say I've ever seen one.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The Ti powerbook were only availabel at the 15 inch size.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatronica
Hello, I was curious what type of power book this is. The specs are as follows: 800mhz G4 with 1mb L3 Cache, 60gb HD, 12inch screen, 10/100/1000 ethernet, svideo, dvi ports, firewire 400, usb, Type 1/2 cardbus slot. That is all I know of the specs..oh it has an apple airport card. From what I have read..its a DVI Powerbook but I have only seen the DVI Powerbook in the 15inch model...did they also make a 12inch version? Any suggestions on the type of PB this is? Oh and if you are wondering why i'm asking. its because I found one on yahoo auctions for 900.00 and I wanted to check into it before I did anything

Thanks
The very first G4 DVI Powerbook matches nearly all these specs, but it was 15". It existed with 667MHz and 800MHz, with 1MB L3 cache, 60GB HD was an option. It never existed with 12" screen.
The very first 12" Powerbook had a 1GHz G4, no DVI and no L3 cache...
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The very first G4 DVI Powerbook matches nearly all these specs, but it was 15". It existed with 667MHz and 800MHz, with 1MB L3 cache, 60GB HD was an option. It never existed with 12" screen.
The very first 12" Powerbook had a 1GHz G4, no DVI and no L3 cache...
Actually the very first 12" PB was 867mhz.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam80
Actually the very first 12" PB was 867mhz.
Oops, you're right... my bad...

Nevertheless, no 800MHz 12" PowerBook existed.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_noobie

why would they go from an 1mb L3 cache to a 512k L2?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_noobie
why would they go from an 1mb L3 cache to a 512k L2?
L2 cache is on-die, means physically part of the processor, and runs at CPU speed.
L3 cache is close to the CPU, but outside of it, so it runs at a slower speed.

Allthough L3 cache is still a benefit (that's why a PowerMac G4 is always faster than e/iMac with the same CPU speed) it makes the computer more expensive, and, important for laptops, needs a little more space on the mainboard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« adding airport extreme to ibook | Beachball at user switch? »