Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Animatronica
    Guest
    12 inch Powerbook
    Hello, I was curious what type of power book this is. The specs are as follows: 800mhz G4 with 1mb L3 Cache, 60gb HD, 12inch screen, 10/100/1000 ethernet, svideo, dvi ports, firewire 400, usb, Type 1/2 cardbus slot. That is all I know of the specs..oh it has an apple airport card. From what I have read..its a DVI Powerbook but I have only seen the DVI Powerbook in the 15inch model...did they also make a 12inch version? Any suggestions on the type of PB this is? Oh and if you are wondering why i'm asking. its because I found one on yahoo auctions for 900.00 and I wanted to check into it before I did anything

    Thanks

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    173
    Specs:
    15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
    There is a 12 Inch DVI Powerbook. It was released in 9/2003. Funny thing though,those are using a 1Ghz G4. Not sure whats is yours. How much RAM does it have? If it is 640MB, chances are that it is a 867Mhz G4 12" Powerbook. Otherwise, I'm lost. 800Mhz G4? Help anyone? It ain't no iBook for sure.

  3. #3
    pedXing
    Guest
    Dunno...never heard of that setup...sry

  4. #4
    adam80
    Guest
    they never made a 12" powerbook with 800mhz. The first 12" powerbook had 867mhz, I wouldn't buy it, it's probably a scam of some sort since the seller can't even get the specs right.

  5. #5
    TylerMoney
    Guest
    I didn't ever see the 12" for myself except for the 1ghz first. Then I saw my friend had the 876....so, I assumed there were more...but I guess I'm wrong. Were there no 12" TI powerbooks? I can't say I've ever seen one.

  6. #6

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    The Ti powerbook were only availabel at the 15 inch size.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  7. #7

    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Animatronica
    Hello, I was curious what type of power book this is. The specs are as follows: 800mhz G4 with 1mb L3 Cache, 60gb HD, 12inch screen, 10/100/1000 ethernet, svideo, dvi ports, firewire 400, usb, Type 1/2 cardbus slot. That is all I know of the specs..oh it has an apple airport card. From what I have read..its a DVI Powerbook but I have only seen the DVI Powerbook in the 15inch model...did they also make a 12inch version? Any suggestions on the type of PB this is? Oh and if you are wondering why i'm asking. its because I found one on yahoo auctions for 900.00 and I wanted to check into it before I did anything

    Thanks
    The very first G4 DVI Powerbook matches nearly all these specs, but it was 15". It existed with 667MHz and 800MHz, with 1MB L3 cache, 60GB HD was an option. It never existed with 12" screen.
    The very first 12" Powerbook had a 1GHz G4, no DVI and no L3 cache...

  8. #8
    adam80
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    The very first G4 DVI Powerbook matches nearly all these specs, but it was 15". It existed with 667MHz and 800MHz, with 1MB L3 cache, 60GB HD was an option. It never existed with 12" screen.
    The very first 12" Powerbook had a 1GHz G4, no DVI and no L3 cache...
    Actually the very first 12" PB was 867mhz.

  9. #9

    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by adam80
    Actually the very first 12" PB was 867mhz.
    Oops, you're right... my bad...

    Nevertheless, no 800MHz 12" PowerBook existed.

  10. #10
    mac_noobie
    Guest
    why would they go from an 1mb L3 cache to a 512k L2?

  11. #11

    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_noobie
    why would they go from an 1mb L3 cache to a 512k L2?
    L2 cache is on-die, means physically part of the processor, and runs at CPU speed.
    L3 cache is close to the CPU, but outside of it, so it runs at a slower speed.

    Allthough L3 cache is still a benefit (that's why a PowerMac G4 is always faster than e/iMac with the same CPU speed) it makes the computer more expensive, and, important for laptops, needs a little more space on the mainboard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 12 inch PowerBook or 15 inch
    By JeXus in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 12:28 AM
  3. Apple Recalls ibook 12 inch&Powerbook 15 inch batteries
    By johninc in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
  4. 12 inch powerbook
    By stotan in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •