New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Case flexing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

Hi,

I have had my MacBook for just under a month, I am very disappointed with the build quality. Especially when compared to CHEAPER Dell's.

At the bottom, on the screen half. If I press, carry, or touch it I can hear creaking. And soon I bet a crack will appear.

This is very disappointing considering this laptop cost 950.

Is this normal wear-and-tear? Or do I have serious problem. There is a very small amount of flex in the left side, and above the touchpad.

I did ring Apple, completely useless. I don't have the time to go to the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNick View Post
Hi,

I have had my MacBook for just under a month, I am very disappointed with the build quality. Especially when compared to CHEAPER Dell's.

At the bottom, on the screen half. If I press, carry, or touch it I can hear creaking. And soon I bet a crack will appear.

This is very disappointing considering this laptop cost 950.

Is this normal wear-and-tear? Or do I have serious problem. There is a very small amount of flex in the left side, and above the touchpad.

I did ring Apple, completely useless. I don't have the time to go to the Apple Store.
I would say don't worry about it. Mine does it too. I will admit, though, that it is quite embarrassing to hand your friend your brand new mac, and it creaks during the handoff. All he said was, "Dude, why does it creak like that?" All I could say was I don't know... Oh well though, to me it's no big deal.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I get none of that, and I'd hold my MacBook build quality up against the Dells we use at work any day. There's no comparison, the Dells are rattly, the keyboards loose and flexible, poor quality mouse buttons.

As long as you are handling your MB correctly I doubt anything will happen. Mine gets carried around one-handed with the lid up regularly and I've had no trouble.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
I get none of that, and I'd hold my MacBook build quality up against the Dells we use at work any day. There's no comparison, the Dells are rattly, the keyboards loose and flexible, poor quality mouse buttons.

As long as you are handling your MB correctly I doubt anything will happen. Mine gets carried around one-handed with the lid up regularly and I've had no trouble.
yours doesn't creak? and you carry it with on hand (like a waiter,or holding one of the edges?) oh my, i wonder why mine creaks then...
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Mine doesn't so much creak as it's chasis seems to to be greatly effected by torsional flex. For example: if I have a DVD playing in it while it's in my lap, then I decide to get up to pour some more coffee, I grasp it on either side of the trackpad to put it on the table. This causes the chasis to flex as if the back part of the laptop is heavily weighted down by the display. The result is the DVD rotational speed slows down and eventually stops playing and tosses an error. I can actually hear the DVD's rpms slowly spinning down. Oddly, if I slowly lift it by the front, placing more and then less torsional stress on the chasis, I can actually hear the DVD gradually slow down and speed up, as if the DVD is being progressively gripped more tightly or loosely by a vise. I laugh a bit thinking that if DVD's were analogue instead of digital, I could speed up or slow down the playback of movies or audio by doing this. However, if I pick up the MacBook by the left front and right rear (by where the display hinge meets the base) there is no slowdown of the DVD and no errors/stopped DVD problem. Obviously the simple fix is to pick up the MacBook carefully, though I was surprised that I had to even worry about it at all. Nothings perfect in life I suppose.
Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

Right it is just wear and tear, at the end of the warranty I may go to the Genius Bar.

Oh, Dell Latitude notebooks probably beat a MacBook in build quality.
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

In fact the cheapest Dell Inspiron beats this MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
In fact the cheapest Dell Inspiron beats this MacBook.
Beats on what grounds? Build quality? Hardware? there are a ton of items to judge the two by.

I would say that the Dell wouldn't "beat" the Mac simply because the Dell doesn't run OS X. As soon as Windows gets on the level of OS X (meaning efi boot system and no registry, and such things), I will gladly run a faster OS on a slightly slower CPU (or whatever) and a less solid build quality
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

I agree, build quality on the macbook is a joke
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrk47 View Post
I agree, build quality on the macbook is a joke
Did you all buy something else called a MacBook? My MB is like it's been hewn from a block of granite compared to a Dell notebook.

QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

No, I got the cheapest Dell for my sister. It is sturdy, unlike my MacBook.

I just think this is wear and tear, or a rubbish product? It is just when the laptop is closed that plastic thing (I think it is a hinge) in the right corner flexes.

I am not a fan of Dell, they are built well but very unreliable.

If other people have the same problem then I won't worry too much.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

Quote:
I just think this is wear and tear, or a rubbish product?
Which is of course a subjective comment. I'd guess you're not being too careful/careful enough with the MB if you think Dells are better built, as every Dell I've been exposed to here at work is cheap and nasty. Perhaps if you treat a few Dells the same way you treat your MB, they'll be just as "rubbish."

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

My macbook creaks every which way and my mouse button also creaks and feels like theres something under it, which I don't get cause I've always been careful. To me it feels like a really nice computer surrounded by a pretty crappy enclosure. It doesn't bother me too much as I think I'm careful enough to keep it from actually cracking, but it's a slight annoyance.

As for Dells, I can only agree that they're nasty. This was a desktop mind you, but a Dell I have at home once had a power supply that caught fire...
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

Actually I take care of this MacBook like I would if it was my baby.

I think it is built well, I was playing on another Dell... I don't take care with Dell's.

The Inspiron 6400 has a similar problem, but I can live with it. It is just usage.

I am going to buy another Mac laptop sometime next year, hopefully a 12".

I like the Dell Latitude D420, but that is just for typing a Word document. No fun! I also like the IBM ThinkPad's but they cost the earth!!!

I don't like what I see from Acer at all, so I guess my MacBook is very good!

At the end of the day the Dell is unreliable, and my Mac is. So what if a little creak appears. The end value is worth it.

Dell are mass-produced quickly. I think the Mac's are built with pride.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I know the build quality on my MBP is some what mediocre. The screen has the problem of not closing completely flush as a lot of people have reported and the second keyboard that is on it now still has crooked keys. They're not as bad as the first, but they are crooked. My Dell Inspiron has not had any build quality issues and if fairly sturdy. It does weigh more and is a bigger machine though.

And there has been no abuse to mine. It's been in protected by a Speck case since day one.

I do have until April to get it fixed. I may hit up the apple store next time I go to my friend's place in Baltimore. Sucks that it's 90+ miles away.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! MBP Screen Flashes When Scrolling After Upgrading To Leopard | Is It Dead? »