MacBook max ON hrs.
    Hello ,

I dont know whether this has been already posted but I would request your views on maximum continuos ON time for 2G MacBook.

I do a lot of long hours downloading with my Macbook and would know what is the safest and longest duration for which Macbook can be kept ON (with charger ON) .

Thanks
    Shwetank.

Specs:
    MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
    To be honest i dont think there is any unsafe limit. You may find your mac gradually slowing down after a long time being on. (days->weeks) but from a physical point of view it will be fine.

~~ TS ~~
    JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
    “Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”

Talking thanks
    Thanks a lot for your view ...well that means i can safely run my Mac for average 14 hrs continuously ON.

Specs:
    2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
    Mines been on for 8 days and 14 hours straight without a problem. I shut it down about once a week.

Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    I keep mine on continuously pretty much every hour I'm awake, and leave it on (not sleeping) at night. The only times it's off is while getting transported between home and the office.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Turned on without sleeping? I think I've gone two-three days with my Macbook when doing some downloading. With sleep, probably a couple of weeks

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    See Sig...
    There's no reason why you can't leave it on 24/7, really. It will shorten the lifespan of the machine, but you're not going to be using it in 20 years anyhow, so it really doesn't matter. The constant downloading may kill the hard drive sooner, but that's a consequence of the constant accessing of the drive more than it is a consequence of the drive being powered all the time.
    MCCCXXXVII
    Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
    MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
    G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by shwetank View Post
    what is the safest and longest duration for which Macbook can be kept ON (with charger ON) .
    24 X 7

And it won't decrease the lifespan. It is designed to be left running.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
    Mine's been on for 14 1/2 days. I have no reason to turn it off, so I don't.
    Black MacBook
    Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
    B&W G3
    G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    The only problem you might face is the battery life-span. Batteries hate heat (store them in the fridge if you're not gonna need it for a long time), but the heat build-up from just downloading is minimal, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you where encoding video all night/every night when it's plugged in to a power source, then I'd recommend removing the battery. Other than that, all is good.
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.

Specs:
    Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
    You know, I don't think mine has been turned off work weeks, other than for a software update or two. I normally just put it to sleep when I bring it to class.

Specs:
    MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
    I had my macbook for about a year before i upgraded to a MBP...and i honestly dont ever remember shutting it down...EVER! I put it to sleep when id take it to class or on a plane or something but other than that, it never got shut off and it still worked just fine.

Specs:
    2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
    53 days and counting.. would have been longer if I didn't have to install that last firmware update

Specs:
    2.8Ghz MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    The only problem you might face is the battery life-span. Batteries hate heat (store them in the fridge if you're not gonna need it for a long time), but the heat build-up from just downloading is minimal, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you where encoding video all night/every night when it's plugged in to a power source, then I'd recommend removing the battery. Other than that, all is good.
    Your battery acts as a semi-surge protector for your Macbook. If you get a surge, the battery will absorb it and if damage is done, it's usually just to the battery.

If you take the battery out, do you know where the power goes?

Well it doesn't really matter, cuz it's something much more expensive to replace than the battery.

Don't take your battery out while the laptop is running.

Thread Information