New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook max ON hrs.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shwetank

shwetank is on a distinguished road

Hello ,

I dont know whether this has been already posted but I would request your views on maximum continuos ON time for 2G MacBook.

I do a lot of long hours downloading with my Macbook and would know what is the safest and longest duration for which Macbook can be kept ON (with charger ON) .

Thanks
Shwetank.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

To be honest i dont think there is any unsafe limit. You may find your mac gradually slowing down after a long time being on. (days->weeks) but from a physical point of view it will be fine.

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
shwetank

shwetank is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for your view ...well that means i can safely run my Mac for average 14 hrs continuously ON.
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Mines been on for 8 days and 14 hours straight without a problem. I shut it down about once a week.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I keep mine on continuously pretty much every hour I'm awake, and leave it on (not sleeping) at night. The only times it's off is while getting transported between home and the office.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Turned on without sleeping? I think I've gone two-three days with my Macbook when doing some downloading. With sleep, probably a couple of weeks

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

There's no reason why you can't leave it on 24/7, really. It will shorten the lifespan of the machine, but you're not going to be using it in 20 years anyhow, so it really doesn't matter. The constant downloading may kill the hard drive sooner, but that's a consequence of the constant accessing of the drive more than it is a consequence of the drive being powered all the time.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwetank View Post
what is the safest and longest duration for which Macbook can be kept ON (with charger ON) .
24 X 7

And it won't decrease the lifespan. It is designed to be left running.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Mine's been on for 14 1/2 days. I have no reason to turn it off, so I don't.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

The only problem you might face is the battery life-span. Batteries hate heat (store them in the fridge if you're not gonna need it for a long time), but the heat build-up from just downloading is minimal, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you where encoding video all night/every night when it's plugged in to a power source, then I'd recommend removing the battery. Other than that, all is good.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
JPerry2010

JPerry2010 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch

You know, I don't think mine has been turned off work weeks, other than for a software update or two. I normally just put it to sleep when I bring it to class.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

I had my macbook for about a year before i upgraded to a MBP...and i honestly dont ever remember shutting it down...EVER! I put it to sleep when id take it to class or on a plane or something but other than that, it never got shut off and it still worked just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

53 days and counting.. would have been longer if I didn't have to install that last firmware update
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The only problem you might face is the battery life-span. Batteries hate heat (store them in the fridge if you're not gonna need it for a long time), but the heat build-up from just downloading is minimal, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you where encoding video all night/every night when it's plugged in to a power source, then I'd recommend removing the battery. Other than that, all is good.
Your battery acts as a semi-surge protector for your Macbook. If you get a surge, the battery will absorb it and if damage is done, it's usually just to the battery.

If you take the battery out, do you know where the power goes?

Well it doesn't really matter, cuz it's something much more expensive to replace than the battery.

Don't take your battery out while the laptop is running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro | MacBook Internal Fan »