New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

gray screen that say you must restart you computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bibleworker

bibleworker is on a distinguished road

I bought my ibook g4 August of 2005. I haven't had a single problem with it until now. It keeps popping up a gray screen that say you must restart you computer. Also the screen will darken slightly when this happens. Someone refered to it as "kernal freaking"(?). Is there anything I can do? Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleworker View Post
I bought my ibook g4 August of 2005. I haven't had a single problem with it until now. It keeps popping up a gray screen that say you must restart you computer. Also the screen will darken slightly when this happens. Someone refered to it as "kernal freaking"(?). Is there anything I can do? Thanks!!
reformat ur hd by reinstalling macos
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleworker View Post
Yes, you are experiencing a Kernel Panic.

Reinstalling the OS and doing a reformat probably won't be necessary.
If this is a recurring issue and you don't know how to troubleshoot it this article should help.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Joe52684

Joe52684 is on a distinguished road

I hope you didn't reformat yet. If you didn't give this a try, it worked for me a number of times:

If you have a firmware password entered in your computer, turn on computer and hold down Option+Apple+O+F keys. If you don't have a firmware password on, then you can skip this. If you do have it, Then:

Wait for the white firmware page to open. Type in "reset-nvram" and enter your open firmware password you set. Then type in "reset-all" which will restart the computer.

(You can start here if you have no firmware password on). When you hear the chime, hold down Apple+S keys until you see a black screen. This will boot it in single user mode.

Type in "/sbin/fsck -fy" (note the space after fsck). This will check for any errors on your disk. Once it finishes checking it may or may not find any errors. Type in "exit" and this should boot the OS.

If you had a firmware password on your computer, you can put it back on and then restart your computer.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to switch the top cover (bezel) of a G3 12" with the G4 12"? | Invisible Shield! »