New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - How would you handle this eBay problem with G4 iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JChance

JChance is on a distinguished road

Ok... I am having the absolute WORST luck with my two eBay Macs I just bought last week.
The Power Mac MDD 1.25 I bought has a problem recognizing the RAM.

And the 1.07 iBook freezes constantly!

I've run all the utilities, tried taking out the extra ram, even re-booted the operating system.

The only thing I did to "alter" the iBook from it's original state was update the installed Tiger OS X to the latest version.

Now it will work fine for a while, then completely freeze up, and it has been doing this ever since about two hours after I received it!

So I emailed the seller twice, and finally got a response.

He basically said something to the effect of "It was fine when it left here. If it freezes after the update, not my problem."

I told him that I'm sure it worked fine when it left... But I have a hard time believing that doing something as simple as updating the operating system would cause it to freeze up intermittently.

Everything I've read suggests a faulty hard drive. It's a 30 gig internal, and I'm assuming it's probably the stock unit. I've also read that hard drives eventually wear out after 3 years or so.. And given the computer was probably made in early 2004, that sounds about right.

What would you folks do? Press for a refund? Partial refund for hard drive replacement? Or am I just stuck with a lemon that I immediately have to sink money into to make it work right?

I'm a little nervous that the seller isn't going to stand behind it based on the tone of his email...
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

Did you use paypal? If so you can file a dispute with them. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's junk if he said it ran fine. Maybe you can backout the update to see if it works???

T
QUOTE Thanks
JChance

JChance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac747 View Post
Did you use paypal? If so you can file a dispute with them. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's junk if he said it ran fine. Maybe you can backout the update to see if it works???

T
Worth a try... How do you "back out" of an update?

And yes, I did use Paypal. I hope I don't have to play "hard ball" with the seller... But if he won't budge, I may have no choice. The seller seems to have good feedback overall and is a "power seller" with lots of used Mac notebooks for sale. Seems like he'd just say "fine, send it back and I'll refund minus shipping..." But I get the feeling he might not be so friendly...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Suggestions & Consults | 2.0 or 2.16? HELP! =/ »