New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mapexvenus

mapexvenus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

Is it true that RAM for the Macbook pro is no different than standard PC memory? I always thought that there was something 'special' about Macbook pro memory since upgrading is so expensive. It was only today that someone at a local Mac store (not Apple) told me and I was shocked!

How expensive would it be to buy 2GB in a single stick? I need two of these to upgrade my MBP to 4 GB.

thanks!

I am an Apple customer, not a fanboy.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Go to Crucial.com or Newegg or Other World Computing and enter your Macs specs into the pulldown menu there or click on the Memory Tab and you will be redirected to RAM compatible with your MBP.

If you want to upgrade RAM after you purchase your Mac from Apple it costs an arm and a leg so go with the above vendors who most people here use.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is standard "notebook" memory, not desktop memory.
You'll be looking for 200 pin SO-DIMM's, not the 240 pin SDRAM desktops use. And also DDR2 667.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

i don't know what the windows notebooks use but macbooks/macbook pros use DDR2 667 crucial in my experience is the best ram provider but shop around and see for yourself.

good luck

jordan
QUOTE Thanks
Bill64

Bill64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram

Crucial has been suggested to me by three different Genius bar employees so far, and it is priced about in the center of your options.....
QUOTE Thanks
horkmaster

horkmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
Go to Crucial.com or Newegg or Other World Computing and enter your Macs specs into the pulldown menu there or click on the Memory Tab and you will be redirected to RAM compatible with your MBP.

If you want to upgrade RAM after you purchase your Mac from Apple it costs an arm and a leg so go with the above vendors who most people here use.

Do all Macbook pros (17") have 4 slots for memory (I am getting one used with 2GB... can i be sure i can throw two more in there?)

And what do you mean it costs an arm and a leg? It's only $65
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

The Macbook Pro 15" has two slots. I just picked up 4 GB (2 GB X 2) for $189.00 @ Fry's.

It costs an arm an a leg if you bought this at an Apple store.

QUOTE Thanks
horkmaster

horkmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
The Macbook Pro 15" has two slots. I just picked up 4 GB (2 GB X 2) for $189.00 @ Fry's.

It costs an arm an a leg if you bought this at an Apple store.
Is it true that some models of macbook/pro do not support 4gb
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by horkmaster View Post
Is it true that some models of macbook/pro do not support 4gb

i think the older ones dont...anything with a core 2 duo will though i think...dont quote me on it but i think...i think the core duos are the ones that support like 3 gb or something....
QUOTE Thanks
spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

^^
I believe only the latest Core 2 Duo models (aka Santa Rosa) will support 4GB, while the previous generation of Core 2 Duo supported 3.

Core Duo, maxes out at 2GB on MBPs (I checked on Crucial's website)...

J
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

I have the Santa Rosa and upgraded to 4 GB of Patriot memory yesterday. Since then my laptop has 'crashed' once (message popped up asking me to power of and restart my laptop). I was told that this happens with 3rd party memory, however, the original memory is also third-party (Samsung). Any ideas on whether the crash was a one off thing, or should I return the memory and buy Crucial?

QUOTE Thanks
patch5674

patch5674 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

does the ram have to be 667 cant you upgrade it too 800 or something because this would cause a massive speed increase more than a little processor upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

ALL ram is "3rd party". It's no different than laptops themselves or many other products to one extent or another-even cars. There's only so many manufacturers out there that make parts... Apple buys off-the-shelf RAM manufactured by companies like Samsung and Micron; the MacBook and MacBook Pro themselves aren't even built by Apple... One is built by ASUS, the other one is built by another manufacturer. Even cars... Say the mass airflow meter on your Volkswagen goes out. It's not a VW Mass airflow meter. Bosch (yes, the same company that makes high end kitchen appliances) makes airflow meters for VW; along with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and many, many other companies.

The only reason 3rd party RAM would cause issues where Apple-branded RAM won't is if the 3rd party RAM is defective. Of course, that can happen with Apple RAM as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch5674 View Post
does the ram have to be 667 cant you upgrade it too 800 or something because this would cause a massive speed increase more than a little processor upgrade.
No, not really.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
artic5693

artic5693 is on a distinguished road

Apple just overcharges you by leaps and bounds for any ram upgrade/purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
shane82388

shane82388 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Mac Book Pro (4GB RAM) - 23" HD Cinema Display - New Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - iPhone

so u can get faster ram than 667 but it wouldnt make a difference?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reliable, fast storage? | MacBook max ON hrs. »