New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Adding ram to a macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lukem5

lukem5 is on a distinguished road

Well I want to add 1GB of ram to my macbook ( to make it a total of 2gb). I was wondering if I have to buy two gigs and take out the current ram in the macbook. Or can I just add one more GB of ram even though it will be a different type of ram, I heard the sames types of ram work bes with each other. Is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Yh you should use the same kind of ram, so don't use ram from different companies and different sizes.

Here is a video on how to install memory in a Macbook: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjzv-mJxFY
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem5 View Post
Well I want to add 1GB of ram to my macbook ( to make it a total of 2gb). I was wondering if I have to buy two gigs and take out the current ram in the macbook. Or can I just add one more GB of ram even though it will be a different type of ram, I heard the sames types of ram work bes with each other. Is this true?
You can use different types, however it's not recommended for maximum performance.

However, you will need to buy 2 x 1gb sticks of RAM. You currently have 2 x 512 sticks installed, so both will need to be removed to get to 2gb. The other option is buying a 1gb and just upgrading to 1.5gb, however this is also not recommended for reasons unknown to me.
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

mapexvenus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

I have a macbook pro with 2 GB (1 X 2 modules). I would like to upgrade to 4 GB, but want to start by first upgrading it to 3 GB. Can I replace one of the 1 GB module with a 2 GB module to make a total of 3 GB?

I am an Apple customer, not a fanboy.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
I have a macbook pro with 2 GB (1 X 2 modules). I would like to upgrade to 4 GB, but want to start by first upgrading it to 3 GB. Can I replace one of the 1 GB module with a 2 GB module to make a total of 3 GB?
Yep.... no problem doing that. You won't get the benefit of running "dual channel", but the extra gb of RAM will out way that anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

I have decided that if I can get 4 GB for less than $180 then I am going to go for it!

Is there a video with instructions on how I can add the new memory?

QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

I just added 2 X 2 GB but only 2 GM shows up. Help!

QUOTE Thanks
DVaris223

DVaris223 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, iPhone

I want to upgrade my iBook's RAM so I can get Leopard (still running 10.3.9, yeah I know). Anyone have suggestions on how much/ where I should get it? Thanks in advance

ibook g4, 12 inch, 1.2 Ghz

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where is the microphone on a mac? | Most demanding game »