New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Cd drive won't take cd's. Any thoughts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michaelglawson

michaelglawson is on a distinguished road

I've had my macbook for just over a year now (found that out when I went to take this thing in and was informed my apple care was dead). Whenever I stick a cd in it will either spit it right back out immediately without even trying to read it, or it will accept it for a minute and start to spin it, then it will make a sound that sounds like it hit something while spinning and it will spit the cd out. Sometimes if I try over and over to stick it in it will take it, but mostly my cd drive is now useless.

Anyone have any advice or ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

Yeah definitely sounds like your drive is dead. Did Apple tell you how much it would be to fix?

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
cumber1137

cumber1137 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle - Blue : 512 MB Macbook Pro named Clayton

So you're saying you never bought the extended Apple Care? Oh that sucks, Apple Care pays itself off over the 3 years you have it.

There is really nothing you can do but get it replaced. Sounds like the drive is broken.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Back when I was your age, we didn't have any article 88275. We had to load our punch cards in the hopper, and hope like heck they didn't jam up.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelglawson

michaelglawson is on a distinguished road

Hmm...distressing that I have to get a new drive. Does anyone know where I can snag a cheap one? I also forgot to mention another little oddity: whenever I move my computer while it's on or tilt it or anything the drive will eject, even if there's nothing in there. What would cause that?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Apple Remote | applecare no more, hard drive crash »