New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Stickers that play off the illuminated logo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davidgallant

davidgallant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone

Any suggestions or examples of this? I'm not one for stickers, but a friend an I were talking about it and I became very curious why I haven't seen more of this.

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

thye used to come with the minis and 4th gen ipods i think....
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

my iphone came with apple stickers, but i meant stickers that were on the top flap of the macbook that used the backlight as part of an accent.

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
stellar

stellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgallant View Post
my iphone came with apple stickers, but i meant stickers that were on the top flap of the macbook that used the backlight as part of an accent.
what?

you're talking about changing the logo light to a different color right?

"no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.."

--audrey h.
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

I *think* what he means is a sort of colored film to go over the apple light for different colors/patterns
QUOTE Thanks
stellar

stellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

in that case, yes there is a way to change the color of the illuminted logo. however, you're going to have to take apart the notebook and then insert a colored film and depending on which notebook you have, it can range from being really easy to extremely difficult.. esp. with the macbooks. www.ifixit.com can show you how to do this.

this will void the warranty btw..

"no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.."

--audrey h.
QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Rowe2ry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD

Go to an automotive shop that does tinting and ask them if they can give you a scrap of the color you want (in about 40%). Then go online for a guide on applying automotive vynil (water, a credit card to massage out bubbles, and a hair dryer to make it shrink slightly and adhere better) then apply it over the apple, let it dry after you attach it, then use an eXacto knife or razor blade to carefully cut away the non-apple parts, and if you want you can also cut out a dsign in the middle part that overlaps the light. If it's not free, a shop should charge you pocket change for a simple scrap.

I drive a Mazda Rx-7, shoot a Canon 20D, and soon.......... I will use a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
ShadowSpandex

ShadowSpandex is on a distinguished road

Did you mean something like this?

Or stickers more tailored to highlight the Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

something like what you have. I dj with my macbook and thought about building a logo that utilized the glowing. Thanks for the info!

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
KamileonX

KamileonX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT

Not sure what you are talking about...

but in case you are talking about the white Apple Stickers, they come with almost every Apple Product. I got 2 with my .mac box, 2 with my MBP, and 2 small ones with my iPod Classic.

If you are talking about the glowing Apple logo on the lid of the notebooks, those are just a white film with a clear plastic cover. The light emitted from it comes from the backlight of the screen. The higher the brightness you make your screen, the brighter the logo will glow.

KamileonX (Lawrence)
MacBook Pro 15" (Glossy) Custom
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB OCZ DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks
ShadowSpandex

ShadowSpandex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgallant View Post
something like what you have. I dj with my macbook and thought about building a logo that utilized the glowing. Thanks for the info!
There are places online that can print/cut custom vinyl decals for you, but you can make your own if you can find vinyl that'll go through a computer printer.
QUOTE Thanks
nathanw87

nathanw87 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

i just did this to my black macbook. its not as hard as everyone says that it would be for this computer. it looks great. i just carefully took off the front shroud around the screen took out the necessary screws carefully laid down the screen and cut out the white film that is on the apple and put in some red transparency film. then closed it all back up.
QUOTE Thanks
MadChild

MadChild is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 2GHZ, Core2Duo

My Macbook,iPod Touch came with them

White Macbook 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 2GHZ, Core2Duo Running OS X Leopard 10.5.3, 500GB My Book External HD, 8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I love how every second person got the point of this thread a bit muddled up

OP is wondering why you don't see more people use decals or vinyl stickers OVER the glowing apple logo to create interesting effects.

I had wondered that as well, you would have thought it would lent itself to more creative ideas over the years...
QUOTE Thanks
nathanw87

nathanw87 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

yeah they should really make it colored leds so you can change it on command. that would be awesome. but i like mine how its read now.

~NathaN~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Problem | Problem »