New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Cant get my microphone to work :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FlyBoy

FlyBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)

i have tried using my line in port and it does pick up signal however when i plug my microphone headset in or the mic that i use with my memo recorder i can't pick it up with my mbp.
I read somewhere that this is because the jack isn't long enough but i dont know how to solve this or if it is true.
If anyone can help please do coz my mic wasn't cheap and i don't want to have to buy a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

If the mic isn't cheap, then it needs to be powered by an amplifier thingie.
QUOTE Thanks
FlyBoy

Mac Specs: 17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)

ahh that means i will go 2 buy a battery thinggy my memo recorder powers it tho howcome the mbp doesnt??
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

DigitalN. is on a distinguished road

the input is a line in port, which only takes sound when the device has its own power, the line in does not send out power, so a microphone won't work.
QUOTE Thanks
FlyBoy

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
musicvortex

musicvortex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6

Yeah. Be sure to check what type of connection. For certain ones, you will need to supply it with phantom power.

eg. XLR mic-needs phantom power
3.5 mm minijack mic-doesn't need phantom power
QUOTE Thanks
Hank McCoy

Hank McCoy is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I've been around the internet to find out why I can't get my headset mic to work on the MBP. Mostly, I have read that it is "because it's a line-in and requires a powered microphone". I have done some tests and determined that that is not the reason - but the real reason still eludes me. Here are some interesting facts...

I have tried 2 gaming headsets using the audio-out and line-in jacks. Earphones work fine, mic produced no sound whatsoever. Let me clarify again that it is not low volume due to no amplification - there is no input at all. Then, I put the microphones through an amplifier and again no input at all. Then, I tried a karaoke microphone. It worked fine, but the volume was low. Through the amplifier, it was loud and clear. Most microphones are "mono", but I noticed that the two headset mic plugs had a "stereo" design, meaning two black dividers on the plug instead of one. The karaoke mic plug was mono.

Here's where it gets weird. As a test, I hooked the stereo earphone part up to the line-in jack (unpowered). The earphones worked as a mic and I could talk into them like an unamplified microphone. The macbook pro picked up sound just fine, albiet at a low volume. Both headsets did this.

So, in summary my tests for successful sound input are:
Mono karaoke mic unpowered - yes
Mono karaoke mic powered - yes
Stereo headset mic unpowered - no
Stereo headset mic powered - no
Stereo headset earphones unpowered - yes
Stereo headset earphones powered - yes

Can someone with an electronics degree explain why the real microphone will not work in the line-in port?'

Thanks,
Hank
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quick question on macbooks | Memory Upgrade »