New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

hot powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Icarus

now I understand that them powerbooks get hot - but my powerbook seems to be super hot - and say 20 minutes into something that requires a lot of power, (ak games or editing) the fan turns on and won't go away..this also is noticable when I am charging also -

is this normal behavior?
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Dunno, try to install Temperature Monitor and see what that reads...
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

my 12" PB normally idles at 43C (109.4F) and during gaming it reaches 61C (141.8F) in a 26C (80F) environment placed on a desk
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

I'm interested in this Temperature Monitor.. Where can I get it? Free? It uses the processor's built in thermometer right?
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

Get it here: http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html
It's free.
Yes it uses any built-in temperature sensors.
QUOTE Thanks
G4Grover

My 15" runs between 50c and 60c during normal use. I use Temp Monitor almost always as I too am a bit worried about heat. I also use a Targus Podium Coolpad ( http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U ) and it helps *some* (its more piece of mind, I guess) Though I noticed it leaves little black rings on the back of the PB where it gets hot. Still have to figure out how to clean them off.
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Grover
My 15" runs between 50c and 60c during normal use. I use Temp Monitor almost always as I too am a bit worried about heat. I also use a Targus Podium Coolpad ( http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U ) and it helps *some* (its more piece of mind, I guess) Though I noticed it leaves little black rings on the back of the PB where it gets hot. Still have to figure out how to clean them off.

Cool. My processor is running at 141.3 degrees. Just curious.. At what temperature should I worry... I'm really a car guy and 61 / 141 is nothing for a car, so....
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

right now I'm running at 95 F, 35 C...not doing anything. When I'm playing games I think it gets up to 140 F...
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Have you got one that reads in Degrees centregrade, or does that one read both Farinheight and centregrade?
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

It does both Matt
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

So does anyone know how hot is too hot? I haven't been above 125 F, but is there like a danger zone where I should shut down?
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
So does anyone know how hot is too hot? I haven't been above 125 F, but is there like a danger zone where I should shut down?
I find that it runs cooler with the power adapter not plugged in. I'm running everything I was when I last posted (141 degrees). Now I'm running off the battery, I'm at 117.

In all honesty, I really wouldn't worry about overheating a stock Mac. Its not like your processor is overclocked, I'm sure they are designed to be run at processor speeds of 160+ all day. No problem. So, yeah the PB has adequate cooling you don't need to worry about overheating it IMO, but I think its nice to know in case something happens like the fan fails to turn on (mine has been coming on at 145F I think) or is broken or something happens that causes the processor to cook, you'll know when the numbers are WAY above normal (based on what you are doing). For example, don't freak out if you are always at 120, then one day you are editting video and doing all kinds of stuff and it goes up to 150. But if for some random reason it goes to 150 doing the normal surfing or whatever that normally only gets to 120, maybe try to figure out what it going on.

I'm sure there is an internal kill-switch that automatically shuts down the machine if it is about to cook the proccessor.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

IMO if anything overheats in normal conditions then it's Apple's problem, and one that I don't believe they have very often.

On the other hand, it's nice to be able to limit damage when you see it coming,
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

My processor bottomside is usually around 55 or maybe 56 while normal use - browsing, listening to music, movies, etc...
QUOTE Thanks
IndianPowerbook

xbox=games
mac=iChat, iPod transferring, digital imaging, making movies, managing school documents, managing school schedule
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't find files.. | Shutdown from another computer ? »