New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Thinking about using sandpaper on Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DigitalN.

DigitalN. is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I have had my macbook for about a year now, and it is really scratched. I take care of it as much as I can, but it still doesn't help me at all in regards to scratches. Anyone that has one knows that you can look at it and it scratches

But anyways, I was wondering if anyone has taken say, 600 grit to their panels? I realize it would take the gloss away, that really doesn't matter to me, but at least it would be uniform scratches! any suggestions are appreciated, besides scratch repair, I really don't want to have to go buy a whole bunch because of the severity of the scratches.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx

Stay far, far away from using anything abrasive on your notebook.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
he said he wants to scratch it more.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I'd try wet sanding if you're really serious about sanding it. And maybe like 3000 grit? It would probably be better to start with a high grit and work your way down to 600 if you really need the paper to be that rough.

EDIT: When I say "wet sand" I'm not talking about dumping a bucket of water over the MacBook and then sanding it down. I'm not a retard- Computers + H20 = Death

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

I'm sorry, but I don't see how sanding your macbook would take off the scratches without hurting it any further...
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see how sanding your macbook would take off the scratches without hurting it any further...
He doesn't want to take the scratches off, he wants to roughen up the entire MB so that the scratches aren't noticable amongst the millions of other scratches.

I'd actually like to see this. With a 2000-3000 grit, it'd give it a matte look. I'm really curious to see the results if he goes through with this.

edit: to put it in perspective, it would have a black MB's matte, rougher texture, only it would be white. In theory anyway, it surely won't be easy.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I assume this is a white MacBook you're talking about sanding?

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I am actually interested on how this would look, Sorta like the stainless look mod for the back of iPods with steel wool.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx

I understand you are unhappy with how your MacBook looks but you seriously need to first try the IceCreme first to see how much of the scratches you can clean up .... you haven't provided a picture of the damage and although from your description it does sound bad, you should try the scratch remover first before heading down the "road of no return" ....

So far we've had the arguments for and against and I just think it's important for us to see a photo so you can get the best advice from us here ...
QUOTE Thanks
stellar

stellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

!!!!!!!!!!!

sandpaper on a MAC?! ouch

"no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.."

--audrey h.
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

just put a skin over it
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

DigitalN. is on a distinguished road

To all of you guys saying to use the Ice cream, that will only take the scratches out, and then of course, they come back again. Buying a Best Skins Ever or invisible shield is out of the question, I can't order online, and those are the only two I would use on my laptop. so no skins.

The scratches aren't TERRIBLE, but the laptop looks so cloudy, and honestly it looks like crap, I would rather have a matte finish to make it look evenly scratched across the entire surface, that way, no small scratch is going to **** me off, as you won't notice it.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, and if anyone had any success in doing so, I know that the handpad had yellowed on me, and I was just wondering if I was to sand it down if the yellow would come out and I would have to paint it, which would suck.
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
I am actually interested on how this would look, Sorta like the stainless look mod for the back of iPods with steel wool.
got any pics of the stanless mod on an ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalN. View Post
To all of you guys saying to use the Ice cream, that will only take the scratches out, and then of course, they come back again. Buying a Best Skins Ever or invisible shield is out of the question, I can't order online, and those are the only two I would use on my laptop. so no skins.

The scratches aren't TERRIBLE, but the laptop looks so cloudy, and honestly it looks like crap, I would rather have a matte finish to make it look evenly scratched across the entire surface, that way, no small scratch is going to **** me off, as you won't notice it.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this, and if anyone had any success in doing so, I know that the handpad had yellowed on me, and I was just wondering if I was to sand it down if the yellow would come out and I would have to paint it, which would suck.
the palm rest doesnt turn yellow?
you prolly bought urs when it first first came out right?
well apple has used different part on the palm rest so fix this issue
QUOTE Thanks
watertones

watertones is on a distinguished road

I think it is a cool "idea" but I don't think you are going to get the results you want. I recommend a hardshell clear case like speck (www.speckproducts.com). Check it out.

Also if you are so adamant about it then just do it. ultimately it's your mac, but I think there are better alternatives than potentially ruining your mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help - buying Applecare from another country | That was a little weird... »