Mobile PhD
    Fresh start on a G3(Need help)
    Can anyone help me find where to download The newest free version of the Mac OS? Someone told me that Apple has it on their site, but I cannot find it. I only have a working PC to download it with, so it has to be able to be burned to a CD and used in the G3. Also, can you download a disc image to burn to install the OS with? I am totally new to Mac's, but I am very experienced with PC's and looking for a new challenge. Any help anybody can give would be truely appreciated. Thanks

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PhD
    Can anyone help me find where to download The newest free version of the Mac OS? Someone told me that Apple has it on their site, but I cannot find it. I only have a working PC to download it with, so it has to be able to be burned to a CD and used in the G3. Also, can you download a disc image to burn to install the OS with? I am totally new to Mac's, but I am very experienced with PC's and looking for a new challenge. Any help anybody can give would be truely appreciated. Thanks
    There are no free versions of the Mac OS. If you already have an installation CD, there are most likely free update downloads for that, but regardless, you still need a functional installation CD first.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Mobile PhD
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    There are no free versions of the Mac OS. If you already have an installation CD, there are most likely free update downloads for that, but regardless, you still need a functional installation CD first.
    Is there anywhere I can get a cheap Mac OS install CD. And is there a specific version you would recomend?

Matt
    I thought the update from 10.3 to 10.3.4 was free? What do you mean? :confused:

chronogoof89
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I thought the update from 10.3 to 10.3.4 was free? What do you mean? :confused:
    Yes, AFAIK, the upgrades from 10.3.x -> 10.3.y are always free. From 10.2 (Jaguar) to 10.3 (Panther) is not free, from Panther to Tiger won't be free either. 9 -> X is not free either. I know that I get a Mac discount catalog with MacWorld. I dunno the name, but they say they have OS8 and up starting at $1.24 or something (obviously for OS8, which I dunno why anyone would use if they could get 9 or X on their comp.) But I'm sure you can get 9 for pretty cheap there. When I get home from work I'll post the name of the place. I think its MacMall?

Thread Information