New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 15" or 17"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Next year I'll be studying graphic design and would like a laptop to work on... for ease of use and transport etc.

Because I'll be doing some graphic intensive stuff, I'm definitely going for the MBP but I'm not sure if I should get the 15" or 17". I'm happy to carry the 17" around, weight isn't an issue but money is. The 15" MBP has the same screen res as my 17" iMac which I think is fine for designing on but wouldn't go smaller. Would the 15" MBP have a large enough screen or should I wait a little longer so I have enough money for the 17"?

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

that is PURE preference , go into an apple store, take a look and decide for yourself
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Personally, I think the 15" MBP is useless. 1440x900 goes beyond "I can put up with this, for a little while" to "you want me to use what? Yeah. Ok. You have fun with that."

Obviously you shouldn't starve yourself to upgrade to the 17" or something, but honestly, for graphics design, I can't imagine the 15" being useable. I'd have doubts even about the base 17", but at least that would be tolerable (for me).

You should be aware, though, that the 17s have an issue that the 15s apparently don't... the hinges are a bit floppy. They're not as stiff as they need to be to hold the lid open if you want to lie in bed with the machine or something.

Ultimately, I think you should go to an apple store and look at all three, but honestly, I think you'd be much better served by one of the 17" models.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
FlyBoy

FlyBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)

im studying design aswelland i went for a 17" with a hi res screen and im really pleased because all the drawing work is on A3 and so a17" laptop bag also fits all my portfollio work. The screen size and extra USB port is really usefull tho and for grapics i can see a bigger screen being better.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

My Pastor has the new 2.4ghz 15" he also does a lot of graphic designing, he says the 15" is good, and im getting ready to get the 15" 2.2ghz model as well for video editing. As long as u get a nice 20"-23" external monitor to use at home or where ever, you should be set.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
wytey

wytey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM

Different type of screen backlighting on the 15" compared to the 17" unless they have moved the backlit LED to the 17" as well, in which case... FFS!

for me, I found the 15" to be more pleasing to the eye, when Apple make the 17's with backlit LED, then they'd have another sale, I'd get the 17" without batting an eyelid with the higher resolution it was purely that reason at the time that I got the 15" instead of the 17"

considering you said price is a factor, if you have a large monitor already, then what Camera Man said would be ideal, get the 15" for when out and about, at home, hook it up to the monitor, the money you saved could be spent on other stuff like a decent mouse, as I doubt you would want to use the trackpad for any length of time editing graphics and the like... at least I don't

at the end of the day, get yourself to an Apple store or reseller, and play with them, only you can make the decision on what is right for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 17" but I'm going to wait until they release a new model. If they follow the iMac and iPod trend, it'll me much better and considerably cheaper.

One question about external monitors though - do they have to be Apple brand to work? Or can I use a different brand?

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

You can use any monitor with a DVI or, with an adapter, VGA port

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

I say if your going to do it, do what you will like for a long time so I say go for the 17"!
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

mad_vtak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Reigns surpeme

The 17" just isnt as portable as the 15"
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Although I don't do video editing, I will say that I can't imagine using a notebook that is any bigger than the 15". Especially when it's on my lap, it almost feels too big, and I'm a big guy. Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference. If there is an Apple store near you, you should go and try them both out. I would say that with your needs, of course, you should go for the higher-end 15".

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

I am a graphic design major and I have a 15.4" MBP. The 15.4" screen works great for doing work in all the Creative Suite CS3 programs.

With the 15.4" I can put it in my back pack and off I go to class or wherever.

Like everyone else said go check out the Apple store.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Issue - Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz | almost-new macbook pro won't turn on!!! »