New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - iBook & Powerbook RAM upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoyceMac

JoyceMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 (Late 2004) 1.2GHz 12.1" & Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 15"

Hi there - im a cluless new member who would really appreciate some advice re a common topic. I have searched and found some useful info, but I am still confused by the RAM issue.

I want to upgrade the RAM on my iBook and Powerbook (see details in profile on left). I currently have 2 x 256MB in both and would like to upgrade both to 1GB. My questions are as follows:

1. Does RAM need to be installed in matching pairs? Do I therefore need 2 x 512MB for each machine, or would 1 x 1GB stick be fine in both?

2. I have no idea re the different types of RAM. The apple site says that the type of memory used for the iBook is: PC2100 (DDR 266) 200-pin, 1.25 inch SDRAM SO-DIMM (PC2700 compatible). The Powerbook uses 1.25-inch PC2700 (also called DDR333) DDR SDRAM SO-DIMMs.

When looking for RAM online, the DDR, DDR2, SDRAM, etc... are listed separately. Which do I look for - DDR, DDR2, SDRAM SO-DIMM, etc...?

3. Is there a type of RAM that would be fine in both the machines, allowing me to buy either 2 x 1GB or 4 x 512MB sticks? Is there anything special or different re Apple RAM or will any RAM of the correct type be fine?

Sorry for this question that I know must have been covered before - the jargon is just very confusing for me.

Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
TheClam

TheClam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy

www.crucial.com
www.crucial.co.uk

This will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Just use the Memory Adviser.
Great prices too!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

1. No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different *densities* of modules in your computer.

2. Both your Macs will support PC2700 SO-DIMM modules and you'll probably find that the vendors will sell you PC2700 for the iBook anyway. So don't think it's too confusing as both your Macs take the same type of RAM ...

3. You need DDR SO-DIMMs for both of your machines so at least you don't have to worry about looking for different RAM types.

Hope this isn't confusing you more ...

*what does densities refer to?*

Quote:
The density of a memory module refers to the number of the chips that are on the module. Different computers require the memory module to be built with a different number of chips. i.e. There is more than one way to build a 128MB or 256MB memory module.
QUOTE Thanks
JoyceMac

Thanks to you both for your replies - much appreciated.

I have had a look at crucial and may well buy from there. Also had a look at ebay prices, which seem to be almost 50% of what crucial offers. I assume people would say not to buy off ebay due to quality concerns? The 2 macs are not my primary computers - is this a serious consideration or should I just go for the cheap ebay prices?

Also, how do I find the motherboard number of my macs? Is it the "serial number" listed at the bottom of the "hardware" section of the system profiler page?

Thanks for all your help...
QUOTE Thanks
Finx_1

Finx_1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMac View Post
Thanks to you both for your replies - much appreciated.

I have had a look at crucial and may well buy from there. Also had a look at ebay prices, which seem to be almost 50% of what crucial offers. I assume people would say not to buy off ebay due to quality concerns? The 2 macs are not my primary computers - is this a serious consideration or should I just go for the cheap ebay prices?

Also, how do I find the motherboard number of my macs? Is it the "serial number" listed at the bottom of the "hardware" section of the system profiler page?

Thanks for all your help...
With buying RAM off ebay you have to be careful..
Ur machine will not like it if its not wot it's looking for..
I have got so much PC133 RAM at home due to trying 2 buy RAM for my G4 Cube.. They wudn't work purly because they were either ECC/133U which got very expensive..
But with crucial I have never heard a bad word about them and they no what they r doing...

If you are looking for a motherboard for ur notebooks/laptops (wen talking about laptop motherboards they are better known as "logic boards")
I'm pretty sure it's the model number (xxx-xxxx/A) is an example of a model number (x = a number).. it shud b under the keyboard..

BTW.. I have a 12" ibook... they only have 1 RAM slot... fitting max 1GB..
with onboard RAM it goes upto a total of 1.5Gb RAM on the 1.33Ghz model..
QUOTE Thanks
JoyceMac

Yep... ill prob go with crucial.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this... thanks again...
QUOTE Thanks
nic

nic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo, 1.83GHz, 512RAM, 150GB HD

Hi,
I'm wondering if I can replace the two 128MB RAM on my Dad's ibook G4 with two 256MB RAM from a friends Macbook?
Basically, will macbook RAM work for an iBook? Thanks.
Pax Christi, Nic Carvalho
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:

Hi,
I'm wondering if I can replace the two 128MB RAM on my Dad's ibook G4 with two 256MB RAM from a friends Macbook?
Basically, will macbook RAM work for an iBook? Thanks.
Pax Christi, Nic Carvalho
IIRC, your dads iBook has PPC architecture while the Macbook is Intel so the RAM type is not inter-changeable ... I think the iBook may take DDR RAM and the MacBook takes DDR2 ... I may be wrong though as that's just off the top of my head ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard Protectors | Powerbook G4 12" Over heating »