Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD OSX 10.7.5
    Unhappy Random Beeping noise
    Hey all,

I've had my macbook since January, and today it has started bleep randomly, sometimes quite faintly, other times, rather loudly. It does it with no sense of frequency which makes it hard to figure what it is. It beeps faintly when waking from sleep (even when battery has been removed), so i assume it must be either the Motherboard or the Harddrive(thought listening, it sounds to come nearer the hinge for the screen). Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it?

man another guy had this problem with his Mac Pro. he found out it wasnt his mac at all. it was his wifes phone. are you sure its your mac beepin?

Specs:
    yes, i noticed it yesterday when my phone was in another room. It's still bleeping, and the noise is deffinitely coming from the laptop!

Quote Originally Posted by niall View Post
    yes, i noticed it yesterday when my phone was in another room. It's still bleeping, and the noise is deffinitely coming from the laptop!
    the lappy still beeps if you take it in another room?

Specs:
    yeh it is.

I tried the following last night:
    running on battery: still bleeps
    Removing battery: still bleeps
    disabling wifi/bluetooth: still bleeps
    updating all firmware: still bleeps
    removing and reinserting ram still bleeps

The sound is deffinitely coming from the rear of the computer.

...other than that im no help. if you find out it was something else, remember, i told ya so

Specs:
    heh, will do!

I've read someplaces that it *could* be a sign of the HDD failing. I have an appointment at the apple store in Glasgow tomorrow, so i'll hopefully find out then.

Specs:
    it was the harddrive, so Apple replaced it as it was under warranty, and at the same time replaced the keyboard+ cover. woo

I just bought my MBP yesterday and it has a really "bop" sound. I have the volume muted and phones turned off. Is this the sound that yours was making?

Jefflesh, have you recently updated your system if so this is very common (so don't worry) all that is required is for you to perform an audio update.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305779

All you need to know is here

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    yea that sometimes happens with me.
    I believe it is the speakers

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Prettyinpunk,

Thank you for your reply. I am running Leopard. Yesterday I swapped my first Macbook Pro for another one. When I got the new one home I noticed that it did not have Leopard installed on it, the installation disk was in the package so I installed it.

The new Macbook makes the same noise but not as often as the one I took back. I am new to Mac's, do they have an internal speaker around the hard drive area? Other than the strange, random noise, everything seems to be running perfect.

I did buy a 500 gig. external back-up drive yesterday just in case. I will be doing a lot of photo editing and I would hate to lose my work. Just cant afford to lose those memories.

Thank you for your time and replies.

Sincerely,

Jeff

MacHeadCase
    Hey, Jefflesh! Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Just to be clear on which OS X version you're running... Did you install the latest version of Leopard, 10.5.1?

I know that that update fixed a few problems. Launch Software Update to make sure you have all the latest updates installed, see if the problem persists.

I'm having what appears to be the same problem. It stared about 2 days ago.. I get a random beep from my iMac about once every 45 min to an hour.

Its been driving me nuts... no matter what programs I have running, it still does it. Even when I close all apps, and put the computer to sleep, it still continues on throughout the night.

I've got the latest gen iMac 20, running Leopard. Unfortunatly the nearest Mac store is a couple of thousand miles away...

MacHeadCase,

Thanks for your post. I am running OS X 10.5.1, I have not heard the beeping today but there is a lot of noise going on in the house today. I will try to keep an ear out for the beep to see if it goes away.

Jenzerelli,

That would drive me nuts too. Does it still beep if you turn it off? My Mac beeps much more often then once every 45min. At worst, mine was once every minute.

Thank you both for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Thread Information