New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery life?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Do ibooks and powerbooks really get that much battery life?
Is the given 6hrs or 5hrs when idle, or at full cpu utilisation?
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

FishinFool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

I have both the powerbook and the ibook
The powerbook gets about 2hrs of battery life
And the iBook gets about 4hrs of battery life

http://www.girr.org/random_stuff/pb15_battery_life.html

Xbox Live Gamertag:tr00p3rls

WoW Account (Demon Soul-Horde): Cabøøse
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Wow you've got to be kidding me. The chances of me getting a mac just plummetted.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I get 4.5 - 5 hours on my powerbook without a problem

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

Wow 5 hours
I dont really care about battery life that much...the only time you really need it is if you travel, then you would need to get a aditional battery.
But I have used my ibook and powerbook on the plane a few times to watch movies and such.
For using it around the house the battery life is fine

QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

I get around 3-3.5 hours on my powerbook. If you aren't using airport or bluetooth, it jumps a lot. If you really need to worry about power consumption, what are the odds you are going to need airport or bluetooth?

I'm perfectly satisfied with my battery life - tears the crap out of my old dell laptop. (got 1.5 hours avg)
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

yes, if you don't have to use blue tooth or airport, you get much more. While surfing, chating, and working with adobe programs, I get anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hrs of battery life. It helps if you put screen brightness down. If I'm just chating and surfing, I get more like 3.5-4.5. Battery life on apples is actually really good...especially the iBooks. They definenlty compare to pc laptops....and there is a lot more to them.
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

I use both so maybe thats why I am not getting as much battery life

QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

A lot of it depends on what you use it for and how well you look after the battery.

Follow the instructions here for best results:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah no doubt.. I have three batteries. Two of them get around 2 hours with airport on, with airport of 3-3.5 hours, my 3rd battery with airport on, 20 minutes, with it off, 45 minutes. Yeah that 3rd battery is shot
QUOTE Thanks
red milk

red milk is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB

ok. i got my powerbook sometime late august and no, i didn't do the calibration thingy at first...
but i'm getting lousy 2 hours battery life. however, i always have my airport on (it's kind of the point so you can move around the house and still be connected >_> )
but a lot of people seem to be getting much more.
do you think my battery is faulty? should i just get a new one... ghh.
i don't mind it THAT much but it is annoying to know it could be much better...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There is a way to reset or recalibrate the battery. Here are two documents from the Apple site on batteries.

Lithium-ion batteries
Battery Reset 2.0 Document and Software

I don't think you want to use the second link. I would check you user's manual about calibrating your battery.

Looking back at this post I found this post #9.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Airport drains your battery and quick, so I would say you are getting quite good battery life, many people get 2 hours without airport on, so that's really good. I know I can't get 2 hours with my airport card on. I usually just plugin when I am around the house, I have sockets everywhere with a power cord already hanging out of it so it's easy for me to plugin
QUOTE Thanks
red milk

red milk is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB

alright. makes me feel a bit better.

can you guys also tell me whats the best way to treat your battery?
i already know that at least once a month i should drain my battery. is it bad if it happens more often? also, always charge to full? or is it ok to just charge to say 80%?

i'm hopeless in these things and don't wanna damage my battery unintentionally.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

the batteries are pretty "smart", you shouldn't have any problems doing what you mentioned.

btw I get 4-6hrs on my PowerBook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So I'm almost dead set on getting a 12" iBook | Internet Via Mobile Phone Help »