New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Virtual PC speed rate

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaysmoke

I just installed virtual pc with the windows xp pro...but I am very much disappointed by the speed rate...it's sooooo slow and I can't really get anything to work without waiting for atleast 5 mins...is this how it works or am I the one doing something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
ViewSonic

Virtual PC 6.1 requires a large amount of RAM. For optimal performance, you would need 1GB of total RAM, with 512MB allocated to VPC, leaving an adequate amount to OS X.

It should also be mentioned that 6.1 is the Vonnectix version, even though Microsoft bought them, Microsoft hasn't actually released their own version yet. Wait until version 7.0 and there shoudl be large performance and stability increases. VPC 7.0 is reportedly able to make use of the hardware graphics accelerator, rather than using an emulated one.

Just to note, on my 1.5GHz 15" with 1GB of RAM, the processor is an emulated "Connectix processor" - a Pentium II 296MHz. I have allocated 512 MB of RAM to it, and after seeing how poorly Windows XP Pro ran on it, i uninstalled it and put in WIndows 98 SE. It does pretty much the same thing, but runs MUCH quicker and also takes up alot less space on the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have on run windows 98 in VPC. Every where I look, I see that windows XP is very, very, very slow when in running VPC. (did I meation that XP is very slow in VPC :p ). I would try another version of windows.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Definitely. I tried XP and it took about 5 hours to install, then simply doing anything like clicking the start button leaves you waiting for 10+ seconds.

Then I installed Win98SE and it's pretty smooth It seems a little laggy sometimes (say if you're trying to work on a fairly complex Access database inside it) but it's usable and waaaay faster than XP.

NT4 works well, too, so take your pick.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

yea i've read the exact same, windows xp is extremely slow. i use windows 2000 and it runs quite well, try that.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Virtual PC 7 will be better, should be out in early October.
QUOTE Thanks
jaysmoke

well I tried 2000 also but it just wasn't fast enuff for me...I guess am left with 98se...mein I never thought I'd have to use that OS ever again...but all the same...october is just around the corner...it ain't gone hurt if I wait just a little longer now would it.
QUOTE Thanks
johnlea70

johnlea70 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.5ghz 1.25gb

Some advice to Mac users who need to run a few Windows programs. First, there is an alternative to Virtual PC. It's called Win Tel from OpenOSX.com. Smaller, cheaper etc. and runs on the latest Macs. Second, check out litePC.com where you can buy a wonderful little gismo that disaggregates Windows and lets you install only the components you want. You can do a 'micro' installation of Windows 98SE in under 70MB which works fine if you don't need the Internet Explorer engine and all the networking stuff: and why would you, you've got it all already in Panther!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Um, that site is selling software that is free

"WinTel" is, as the screenshots even say, just a ripped off copy of MacBochs which is freely available from:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

It's good to see that if you dig deep enough he does give credit where it's due, but it's still a rip off.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Any speed tests?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD-R media question. | The expansion slot »