New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - G3 Wallstreet: Weird problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esquivel

esquivel is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
Something weird is going on... Since the battery on my PB is completely dead, I hae to use the computer with the AC adapter. But when I disconnect it to move the computer and then connect it again, the computer reacts as if I had resetted it. The fan turns on for like three seconds, then shuts down, and when I press the power button, it takes more than a minute to boot.

I have OS X (10.1.5) and OS 9.2.2, and as long as the computer is connected to the AC adapter, it will boot to OS X, when I disconnect it, it will boot to OS 9, gets to the desktop and freezes. Forced power down does not work. I have to reset it, boots fine, go to start up disk, select OS X and restart; and it will work prefectly until I disconnect it from the AC adapter again...

What could be the problem here? it's driving me crazy!
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

what i got from that... is... when you disconect your battery dead powerbook from ac, it resets?
and... when you are using the BATTERY DEAD powerbook WITHOUT the ac, it's not functioning properly...
that... makes sense.. sorry if i'm not getting the whole picture here...
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

The pram battery (assuming it has one... its been a long, long time since i took mine apart) is probably dead as well as the system battery. That's my guess, at least.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
esquivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki99 View Post
what i got from that... is... when you disconect your battery dead powerbook from ac, it resets?
and... when you are using the BATTERY DEAD powerbook WITHOUT the ac, it's not functioning properly...
that... makes sense.. sorry if i'm not getting the whole picture here...
Hey,
The battery is dead, I don't even use it. I have the CD in one slot, and a Zip drive in the other. The computer works only with the AC adapter. The thing is that when I disconnect it to transport it, when I reconnect the adapter, it behaves as if I did a reset using fn+ctrl+shift+power. I would understand that this behaviour is normal because the lack of battery, but why start up in OS 9 and not X as seleted under Start Up disk?
QUOTE Thanks
esquivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
The pram battery (assuming it has one... its been a long, long time since i took mine apart) is probably dead as well as the system battery. That's my guess, at least.
I took it apart a few days ago to fix a magnetic sensor issue I had after a hard drive upgrade... and yes, PRAM battery is still there, and after all this hassle, when I get it to boot to X again, the time and date are correct...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« superdrive not recognized | spilled rubbing alcohol all over my macbook! »