New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - macbook to display screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shinsengumii

shinsengumii is on a distinguished road

im not entirely familiar with computers and was wondering if were possible for my macbook to be hooked up to my 19'' monitor. somehow

i cant seem to find the socket for where my screen can plug into my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Yes, I do this, you need either Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter or Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter depending on what kind of inputs your monitor has. If it has both, you want DVI. The adapter plugs into the small port to the right of the ethernet port, then you can hook the normal monitor connectors into both. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
shinsengumii

thanks heaps Fromasta Flex. massive help
QUOTE Thanks
shinsengumii

how do i find out if mine is a DVI or a VGA?

does using the additional display screen cause the macbook to slow down??
QUOTE Thanks
Joshlegh

Joshlegh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.33Ghz that constantly needs repairs. :)

VGA is a smaller connector whereas a DVI connector is wider, and has more pins and some strange cross thing in it
If I were you, I'd just go for the VGA, it shouldn't make such a huge difference.

On the corner of main street.
Kewin's gonna get you.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If your monitor supports DVI, definitely go with that - it will look a lot better than VGA on some monitors.

QUOTE Thanks
shinsengumii

does it slow down the macbook when using two monitors (notebook monitor and 19'' monitor)??

because i have 2gb of ram but if im opening enough to fit both screens, id imagine it will be very slow.
QUOTE Thanks
Joshlegh

Joshlegh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.33Ghz that constantly needs repairs. :)

Well if you're opening a lot of programs it will slow it down a fair amount.. but really that depends on the program.
If it's just lots of windows from one program that will also slow it down but probably not as much as multiple programs
If it's just four or five programs it shouldn't slow it down too much.
I usually have 6 programs on my iBook (When it wants to work) and it only has 1GB of ram so I imagine you should be fine... and you also have a dual core cpu so even better!

On the corner of main street.
Kewin's gonna get you.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinsengumii View Post
does it slow down the macbook when using two monitors (notebook monitor and 19'' monitor)??

because i have 2gb of ram but if im opening enough to fit both screens, id imagine it will be very slow.
The graphics card will have to do a bit more work, but it'll be fine and you shouldn't notice a difference.

Obviously if you're opening Final Cut Pro on one screen and photoshop cs3 on the other then you're going to notice slowdown...
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Uh, no it doesn't slow down a Macbook at all to be hooked up to an external monitor. I routinely hook up a 22" widescreen LCD to mine. I have it set up to put the menu, all open windows, and leave the Dock on the built-in LCD and there is no slow-down of any kind. The graphics card handles it fine, UT2004 plays fine, and DVDs look spectacular.

I switch between this set-up and going mobile every day. No difference in speed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want my White MB to be a Black MB | Macbook ohh macbook »