New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should I Get The I Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michaelcm

If I buy this it will be my first Mac. So I have some questions to ask.Nut first my uses for this are Internet/email, Photo Editing/Movie editing, Projects(word,slideshows and such), Some Games, Watching DVDs, And listening to Music.(It'll have to be a 12" because I dont have very much $$$)

My questions are is 256 RAM and a 40 GB hard drive enough? Or should I Go with 512 RAM?Does Anyone know when they are going to make the G5 processer?Should i get the airport extreme base station or just a router? Is it a good idea to save some money and buy from amazon? And why do the speeds seem so low, like 1ghz or 1.2 ghz?And why are apples so pricey?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Or Should i get 384 RAM and Save Aditional money?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I would go with 512 RAM. Another good way to save is to get refurbished. I think 40 gigs is good, but that really depends on your needs
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Wheres a good place to buy refurbished?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

256 ram is not enough
G5 will not be in the iBook for at least 1.5/2 yrs at the minimum
Just get a regular router its cheaper
I think you are better off getting it straight from apple
Its called the Mhz Myth....Processor clock speed doesnt mean faster. I use my 867 G4 and it outperforms my P4 2.2ghz in most tasks.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.1.1.0?52,51

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

The Apple stores have refurbished with full warrantee
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Currently under refurbished products they have something that caught my eye.A 14" ibook with 256 RAM(thats not cool)60gb hard drive,combo drive and an airport extreme card for 1299.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcm
Currently under refurbished products they have something that caught my eye.A 14" ibook with 256 RAM(thats not cool)60gb hard drive,combo drive and an airport extreme card for 1299.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, it takes 30 business days to get to my house that made me cry!!
QUOTE Thanks
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcm
its not that expensive to add additional ram, so i would say buy it. I have a 14" iBook with 384mb RAM and its a little slow for my liking (soon 2 be upgrading ) but other than that they are brilliant computers... mine outruns a 3gig P4 if that gives you any idea, and my HD is 3/4 full...

buy it...

Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
its not that expensive to add additional ram, so i would say buy it. I have a 14" iBook with 384mb RAM and its a little slow for my liking (soon 2 be upgrading ) but other than that they are brilliant computers... mine outruns a 3gig P4 if that gives you any idea, and my HD is 3/4 full...

buy it...

Uni/.
Wow, thats awsome. Now I am almost positive to buy that I Book(now all I have to do is convince my mom thats its a good deal).
Thanks A Ton guys.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

You know what I have one last question when is the new IBook coming out because if it is within a year or so I'll wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook seems slower | fan making noise »