New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Is Macbook graphics card OK for video editing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gh0ztt

Gh0ztt is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of purchasing a new Macbook. I'd like to get the 2.16 GHz model with 2GB of RAM and the 160GB hard drive.

My question is: Is the Intel graphics set good enough to do video editing? I don't know if a true 3D graphics card is required for video effects, or if they can still be rendered and output by the Intel chipset. I'd like to get the Macbook and also get a 24" external display so I can use the big screen for video editing at home, but then I still have the portability of the notebook.

When I compare the Macbook with the RAM and hard drive ugpraded to the Macbook Pro the only real difference is 2" of screen and the video card... and to me that isn't worth the extra $600 or so the Macbook Pro adds. For well under that difference in price I can get my 24" display to go with the Macbook.

Thoughts? I'm not looking to play any hardcore games or anything, just do photoshop and video editing. Is this a good system for that?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The graphics card is fine. Just be sure to have plenty of system RAM and HD space.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It depends on the software you're going to use.

Lower end packages like iMovie, and FinalCut Express will run fine on a MacBook, given enough memory and space as D3v1L80Y said.

Professional packages like Avid Xpress Pro and FinalCut Studio require a real graphics card...indeed, they have specific requirements that you'd better check carefully in advance.

Adobe Premiere Pro's system requirements state that it requires a 7200 RPM hard disk, which would be hard to do with a MacBook, and specific graphics cards for playback of accelerated effects. I don't think a MacBook would be the best choice for that application.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Final Cut Express will run fine on a Macbook, however the 'unlimited RT' feature that lets you preview edits before rendering them will work better on a real graphics card.

Some parts of Final Cut Studio require a better card afaik.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So..um...my clumsiness caused me too..uh..drop my powerbook.. | MacBook display - dithered »