New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - So..um...my clumsiness caused me too..uh..drop my powerbook..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vp2oh9

vp2oh9 is on a distinguished road

..probally a 15 inch drop..and now..everything is slower...my internets wont work..wireless...airport card probally got loose...and i can actually hear my hard drive when its accessing files...if i reboot will it fix everything? if so and how? do i need a new hard drive? what shall i do in this crazy life of mines i dont know...mac-forums.com...i need your assistance now more than ever...please help...you all command alot of love and respect from me because you guys are very helpful..=/ i hope you guys respond soon...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you dislodged or damaged internal components, a reboot won't do you much good at all. It won't hurt anything to try it, in fact, it should have been the first thing you tried in any case of "slow down".
If that doesn't help, there really isn't much more you can do except have an Apple Certified Tech have a look at it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
vp2oh9

oh okay ill try..one problem though..i dont noe how to reboot..can you please redirect to a link that can inform on how to do this or can anyone just write a simple step by step process for me, thanks =]

but if it isnt, is there a way for me to open up this bizznatch and fix it myself, or i HAVE to bring it in...gosh..i had this thing for 3 days too...gosh
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp2oh9 View Post
oh okay ill try..one problem though..i dont noe how to reboot..
Simple. Just turn it off, let it sit for a few seconds, then turn it back on again.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Rowe2ry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD

15 inches shouldn't pose any permanent damage. Maybe an annoyance of reconnecting dislodged components, but nothing too permanent. I recommend backing up some files on an external hard drive, CDs, DVDs, or transfering to a desktop just in case your HDD is on it's way to not working. I know a HD based MP3 player of mine got noisier and noisier as a week went by after I dropped it until it stopped working. I thought it would imediately fail after the accident if it was gonig to fail at all ("If it was going to break, it would have done it by now") but I was wrong. I'd backup anything vital just in case while everything works.

I drive a Mazda Rx-7, shoot a Canon 20D, and soon.......... I will use a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
vp2oh9

i remember there was this disk you put in to check your hard drive i forgot whats it called, does anybody know? im worried....can i open my book up and reconnect stuff too?
QUOTE Thanks
vp2oh9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Simple. Just turn it off, let it sit for a few seconds, then turn it back on again.
no i meant like start everything up from scratch like reinstall everything again, operation system and everything that kind of reboot
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

If your hard drive is making sounds when you access files, like a loud clicking sound, then chances are you damaged it in some way. I'd stop using it immediately and get it looked at if you have any important data on there.

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
vp2oh9

sure its my hd? because i did verify disk check thing and i checked fsck and everything is a ok...but i didnt perform the check with my start up disk because i dont have one....where do can i go to get my hd checked? is there a program or i gotta go to an apple store, because the nearest one to me is in a very inconvenient location
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp2oh9 View Post
no i meant like start everything up from scratch like reinstall everything again, operation system and everything that kind of reboot
Well, that's not a reboot at all. That is an OS reinstall. Two completely different things.

An OS reinstall won't help anything and would simply be a waste of time if you performed one in this case.

If your HD is making clicking noises every time you access a file, then the first thing you should do is backup all of your important files to some other medium (external HD, CD/DVD, etc). Once you have done that, then you can worry about having someone take a look at it.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Is your Hard Drive making Clicking noises? If so it's probably damaged. Too bad you do not have the CD/DVD that came with the Powerbook or you could run the Hardware test. I have seen laptops dropped a few inches when the drive was running and it killed it. There is no set amount of inches it has to fall to mess up the drive.

Devilboy gave some excellent advise. I can't add anything to it.
QUOTE Thanks
vp2oh9

darn it...i only had this for 3 days...=[..how loud is too loud though...it just makse low clicking noises..is that normal? and is the hardware test cd the only way i can check my harddrive for problems withouth going to an apple store?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro frozen again | Is Macbook graphics card OK for video editing? »