New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook 15" Aluminum Memory Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JayJay

I am going to upgrade the memory in my powerbook. I stopped into the Apple store and the guy there told me that it was best to go with apple memory. He said that there I may run into problems with memory that isnt "apple" (but he also told me that it would be about $150-200 for a 256 chip). I wanted to know if anyone has used any other type of memory? And if they have have they had any trouble? Also where is the best palce to get it. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I bought my memory from www.newegg.com (I am pretty sure it was Samsung OEM) and it worked with no problem at like half the cost

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
kathleen

I just updated my 12" Powerbook with memory from crucial.com

The site has a great feature that will very easily find the right memory for your computer. I was completely in the dark as to how to go about installing it, but they are available 24/7 for tech support and with their instructions and help the installation was a breeze. I haven't had any problems with the memory. Apple products tend to be pretty overpriced, so if I were you I'd go through crucial.com or a similar website. You will get 512+mb for less than what you'd pay for 256 from Apple. I don't think you'll regret it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I second that; I've heard nothing but good things about Crucial's memory. They also have a replacement policy, if you do get a defective module. The Hardware Test CD that came with your system can be used to verify suspect memory.

Apple, needless to say, doesn't make memory itself. I've heard that it actually buys memory from Crucial (AKA Micron.)
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

You can't go wrong with any name brand memory modules, such as Samsung, Hynix, or Micron. Apple does not buy memory from Crucial, they buy direct from distributor or manufacturer, usually whatever is cheapest at given time. The ones I looked at came with Samsung and Hynix.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Ignore the Apple guy's comment about theirs working "best". The thing is, different RAM uses different clock cycle timing, and one particular setting is ideal for Powerbooks.

If you buy from Crucial.com and use their memory finder thing, you'll get the exact timing and you'll have great RAM for half the price. I highly recommend buying from them.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

do crucial...they're cheaper than apple..and have guarantee products...and know what you need for there to be no problems. I got corsair memmory..works like a charm...with a lifetime warranty/guarantee.
QUOTE Thanks
JayJay

Thanks for all the advice but if I install it myself won't I nullify my warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Yes you will, but it's so easy that anyone can do it. Paying $50 or so for someone doing what you could literally do in 5 minutes is a huge waste of dough. Just get some rubber latex gloves and you won't have to worry about static.

Oh, and like everyone above is saying, get Crucial. I've bought from them about 10 times in total now for 4 different Macs I've owned, and they're the best, hands down.
QUOTE Thanks
adamburgess

Yeah. I've used Crucial in my G4, G5 and iBook. No probs.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
I second that; I've heard nothing but good things about Crucial's memory. They also have a replacement policy, if you do get a defective module. The Hardware Test CD that came with your system can be used to verify suspect memory.

Apple, needless to say, doesn't make memory itself. I've heard that it actually buys memory from Crucial (AKA Micron.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
Ignore the Apple guy's comment about theirs working "best". The thing is, different RAM uses different clock cycle timing, and one particular setting is ideal for Powerbooks.

If you buy from Crucial.com and use their memory finder thing, you'll get the exact timing and you'll have great RAM for half the price. I highly recommend buying from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Yes you will, but it's so easy that anyone can do it. Paying $50 or so for someone doing what you could literally do in 5 minutes is a huge waste of dough. Just get some rubber latex gloves and you won't have to worry about static.

Oh, and like everyone above is saying, get Crucial. I've bought from them about 10 times in total now for 4 different Macs I've owned, and they're the best, hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamburgess
Yeah. I've used Crucial in my G4, G5 and iBook. No probs.
So, Crucial are good then?
QUOTE Thanks
lisu

I've just updated my 15" powerbook with Kingston memory. No probs. Also fitted myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Another thumbs-up for Crucial. Don't believe what the Apple guy said, he just wants you to buy their massively overpriced memory :p

Crucial guarantee that if you buy memory by going through their "select your make/model of computer" route on the website, it will work.

Ordered mine yesterday afternoon and it came this morning via Special Delivery (UK) which is a very valuable postage service. No problems whatsoever
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very loud buzzing coming from speakers | Cleaning the powerbook.... »