New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Has the thermal paste issue been corrected?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Has the thermal paste issue been corrected on the latest macbook pros? I'm considering a 17" model but the one I looked at in the Apple store still run horrifically hot, and looking through the service manual isn't filling me with any real burning desire to take it apart the machine and fix it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
chat19

chat19 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600

nope, still hot. also it does not help that it is aluminum, conducts heat and makes it feel even hotter.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

*sigh* That's what I figured. The aluminum construction is-and has been, since the first TiBooks-an integral part of the thermal management system for the computer, as far as I know. Theoretically, this allows Apple to use smaller heatsinks, and thus create a computer with a smaller footprint and/or a lower profile.

Nice idea, if it works. It doesn't appear to work so well on this machine though. There's a very, very large discrepancy between the TDP of a G4 and that of a Core2, even a mobile C2. So. It looks like I'm going to have to "fix" this machine-just like I've had to with every other notebook I've owned in the past 5 years (all of which have been PCs...). The least they could've done would be to use copper for the fins on the heatsink, but it doesn't look to me like they did. =/

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
The least they could've done would be to use copper for the fins on the heatsink, but it doesn't look to me like they did. =/
It's harder to dissipate heat from copper than from aluminum, so if they had used copper, the thermal benefits would last a couple of seconds before the aluminum casing got hot from the slow air movement. In fact, the laptop would function pretty similarly to an aluminum heatsink with a copper core

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

I'm afraid that's a myth; it is not harder to dissipate heat from copper. Copper has a higher thermal conductivity than aluminum.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I have a Powerbook or MacBook Pro? Please help I can't tell. | Some Problems after 1 Month »