New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Spillage MBP keyboard issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lyptt

lyptt is on a distinguished road

Yes I'm a complete retard and also surprised about the number of *books getting spillages recently. I've dried it out for an hour, drained all the water possible and apart from the fan souding a bit dodgy (going up and down) it's working great.

I tested out the keyboard and it works on all typing keys but after typing a couple of messages on Adium it started repeating the apostaphe key. I've shut it down forcibly (I'll deal with filesystem issues later) and put it in the drying cupboard slightly open to dry out the keys.

If anything has short in relation to the keyboard what would it be? I'm placing bets on the logic board, but is there a way to disable the keyboard and use an external?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Maybe your system isn't completely dry. Give it a few days.
Maybe do a reformat and start from scratch.
-Peace

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

I hope that's the issue, it seems like it, I just hope nothing's fried on the logic board because that's a hefty bill if I get it sent in.

I don't mind doing a reformat that shouldn't be an issue, and the battery still lights up so I'm hoping it'll still work, how much to batteries usually cost?

I'm keeping my mbp in the airing cupboard with it opened slightly so that any excess water can evaporate from the fan holes and the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

I've waited a while and just switched it on now and still having the same keyboard issue, fan issue seems to have dissappeared... if contacts on the keyboard were shorted it wouldn't work at all though right?

The backlight on the keyboard works fine on all keys.

I'm leaving it alone overnight to see if the 9-10 hour drying session will help, if nothing's changed then I'll call Apple tomorrow, if I tell them it was my fault and that I'm willing to pair for the repairs will they repair it?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i think the second liquid hit the thing your best bet was to remove all power sources and not touch it for at least a few days, not just a few hours.

at this point you may have fried something. and apple will certainly repair it, but it won't be covered.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

Everything other than the keyboard seems to be working 100% luckily, so I may only need that replacing. I did power off immediately once the spill occurred so that's probably why.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i think the second liquid hit the thing your best bet was to remove all power sources and not touch it for at least a few days, not just a few hours.

at this point you may have fried something. and apple will certainly repair it, but it won't be covered.
True. Evaporation takes days/ weeks not hours. Give it time. It may be a broken keyboard but it's going to cost a lot more than $30 to replace it. I haven't messed with a Macbook Pro but Apple would need to dismantle the whole computer to get to the keyboard. If that's the case, labor will cost you and if they find water, you'll be out of luck with any future problems.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

I've left it in overnight and the keyboard's completely dead. I've checked the system profiler and it's still detected but it's obviously not taking any input anymore. I've checked all of the other hardware and it seems to be fine and it's past post successfully.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitching101

Macswitching101 is on a distinguished road

atleast its not
a macbook keyboard cause those would cost more to replace considering the design of them
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

Yeah, with an MBP keyboard you just take off the top case, unplug it and plug in a new one from what I've seen of the deconstruction guides, so maybe the repair bill will be something like £150 - 100 being the labour
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

It's looking really hopeful now - yesterday I got back partial control over the software keys - numlock etc, and was able to use a couple of keys before stopping, but just now after leaving it to dry all day and night again I can control most of the keys including software keys but it was starting to spaz out and the u key doesn't work at the moment, so hopefully another 24 hours of drying will clear any water left on the keyboard and it'll be back in operation again.

I'm not sure but it might be residue left between the contacts stopping the keys working, but that's another issue altogether and I don't feel confident enough to pull off something like that, so I hope it's just left over water.
QUOTE Thanks
lyptt

Well I thought I should post back for information for others.

My MBP is obviously dried out now as I've had it in there since yesterday, but the keyboard wasn't working so to get it responding correctly I turned up the keyboard backlight to full and pressed every keyboard combination I could, this re-enabled the keys for me so it may work for others in a similar situation.

The only issue now is that I've noticed a dead pixel on the bottom of my screen - looks like my crappy luck still hasn't changed... *sigh*

Good luck to anyone else that has these problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not to Sleep When Screen Closed | 12" powerbook has 4/3 screen, how to change resolution to widescreen for external? »