New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Upgrading RAM in my Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tmallen

tmallen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM

I have an original Macbook, 2.0GHz Dual. I had the opportunity to swap in someone's iMac 512MB stick shortly after my purchase, so I've been using it for over a year with 768MB RAM. For desktop use, this is enough, but my laptop chokes when I have Fireworks, a couple browsers, Transmit, maybe DW, and some other web design stuff running.

First off, how much RAM can this thing take? System Profiler doesn't tell me this.

Second, where should I buy my RAM? Is used RAM available, and if so, is it a bad idea? I want to max out this machine.

Third, and a smaller concern: What about HD? This came with a somewhat small 60GB drive, and I'd feel comfortable in the long run with about double that.

I considered upgrading to the MBP, but on second thought, I'd be in a pinch until I could sell the Macbook, and it's actually good for a web designer to work on a slightly smaller screen so that you don't create those designs that look overwhelming on 1024x768.
QUOTE Thanks
tmallen

tmallen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM

Nevermind, got the max. 2GB from Ramjet - $109, very nice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whats my Ibook worth? | Glossy Vs Matte »