New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook works in the freezer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justincredibleg

justincredibleg is an unknown at this point

Ok I tried to sell a macbook on ebay and was ripped off.

I received the macbook back with a crack on the corner near the magsafe connection. Now when I try to turn on the laptop the screen flashes, the cd drive doesn't respond and the white heartbeat on the front of the laptop comes on. I found, however, that if the laptop was cool or.... someone accidentally left it in the freezer for 20 min... that it would turn on and the colder it was the longer it would stay on.

Any ideas? Is the logicboard bad? Any help would be great, I would like to be able to use the macbook outside of my walk-in freezer...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Just to let you know, exposing your computer to cold temperatures and then using it at room temperature can lead to condensation, which as you know, is very bad for a computer as it can short circuit. And then you have a whole other problem on your hands.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
justincredibleg

yep thanks kash I just did it the one time to see if that would change anything
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I think it sounds like you've just been ripped off. If the MacBook doesn't work as expected then it's obviously faulty. If it wasn't advertised as such then you could try contacting eBay or PayPal - good luck with that...

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Paypal is all for buyers rights and screwing over the seller regardless of whether the buyer is legit or not. Place a complaint with E-Bay and then with Paypal. You'll get your money back from Paypal.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

I get the impression he was the seller though and the buyer damaged the computer claimed it came broken and screwed the OP in the process, right?
Sorry though I can't help you with the mechanical problem, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice

I assumed he's the buyer - I'm not sure how he could be "ripped off" if he's the seller, although the post actually implies both. Some clarity would help.

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Crap. My bad. In that case, you're kind of screwed...not really but it's going to take more work.

Call e-bay and notify them.

Also call Paypal and talk to them about it. Chances are, you're not going to get any money from them. If you have already taken the cash out of the account, then that's probably the only way you're going to get the money. They'll charge whatever card you have associated with the account, you'll have to call the card company and tell them that it was fraud.

Paypal is horrible to deal with if you're a seller.

I've had BIG problems with them before and thanks to my CC company, it got straightened out.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
justincredibleg

Alright well I appreciate everyone analyzing my post. To help the topic move forward, I was the seller. The buyer claimed it was broken when he received it even though it was a good 2 weeks before he decided to come out with this.

Anyways! The problem I am wanting to fix is the fact that there is a small crack from an impact on the back left corner of the case near the magsafe plug-in and the macbook will only rarely start when it is cool. Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

I think you'll need to speak to Apple, it sounds as if there's a dodgy joint; probably the CPU heatsink has been dislodged by whatever the impact was.

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

also, did you insure the package when you sent it? If he claimed it was like that when recieved, you may be able to place a claim with the shipping company.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
gr4ywolf

gr4ywolf is on a distinguished road

If you shipped using USPS then get the postal inspectors involved for mail fraud. The postal police dont take lightly to fraud and will chase the SOB that ripped you off down and arrest him. I always use USPS for shipping or receiving high dollar items.

Hope this helps
RK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cleaning | Invisible Shield Review... »