New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook does not shutdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s_artin

s_artin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram

Hi to all!

I've had my macbook for 3 weeks now, and I love it, everything is great! BUT when I use my macbook for a long time, say more then an hour, and I try to shutdown my macbook, nothing happens, it just stays on, and I can't shut it down. I have to hold the power button for 5 sec, and then it turns off.

I can't seem to figure out what it is, and I did some research with no luck on the net.

Anyone have any idea?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Gamalen

Gamalen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive

Hi there,

Have you tried fixing your permissions to ensure everything is working correclty?

I also downloaded this free progam called onyx to perform maintenance scripts on mac osx.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

Also if you go to "shutdown" and just close the lid, the laptop goes into sleep mode. You have to wait until the lid is completely closed to ensure that it is shut off. I know there have been times where I thought I had shut it down, but it was actually in "sleep" mode. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

pika2000 will become famous soon enough

I've been having a similar problem. My Macbook takes a really long time to shutdown. It will shutdown eventually, but it takes forever to do so. I've tried repairing permissions. I have a feeling that this has to do with a recent patch/update.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

If your MacBook is just 3 weeks old, I would call Apple Care. When you do and you get the answer to the puzzle, please let us know. Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
s_artin

s_artin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram

Thanks for all the posts guys,

I did the fix the permission option, and so far so good, but I don't know if it will fix it for good. I do believe that it might be an update issue, so hopefully apple will have a fix for it soon.

I will keep on monitoring this, and if it continues, I will contact Applecare to find out what's wrong.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share your ideas! thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stupid idea? | Macbook shutdown syndrome »