New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Xbox on A Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikhailob

Hello people, i just got my powerbook and i just want to say that this site helped me in making my decision. I was wondering, is it possible to run an Xbox through the 'Book, since there is the S-Video port? Thank for your consideration.
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhailob
Hello people, i just got my powerbook and i just want to say that this site helped me in making my decision. I was wondering, is it possible to run an Xbox through the 'Book, since there is the S-Video port? Thank for your consideration.
What do you mean by "run an Xbox through the iBook"? You mean, use the iBook as a monitor? I beleive.. no
Do you mean to.. well, I don't know what else you were trying to ask..

:shrug:
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

[Edited this one word out that made some people butthurt.] There is no S-Video.

There is a Video Out port. You could plug in the adapter that comes with it in there, but you wouldn't get sound, and you need to find an application to do this.
Edit: I suck. There is no S-Video on the iBook, but you said PowerBook.
Well, yeah, you could, but again, you need an adapter, there wouldn't be sound, and it wouldn't be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I think mikhailob is not a liar, just because he doesn't know which Video port he has...

And by the way, Absolute Zero, you're talking about Video OUT ports...to use an iBook/PowerBook (or any other Laptop) as monitor for an Xbox (or any other gaming console), you need Video IN ports (Composite or S-Video).

None of Apple's laptops has Video IN ports built in, so no, you can't hook up your Xbox to the Powerbook.
The only use of those Video ports is to connect your iBook/Powerbook to a TV, for DVD watching, for example.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Dude, if you read my whole post, you would see that I edited it thinking he said iBook, but he really has a PowerBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I read the whole post, including the edited part, I just think you shouldn't call somebody a liar, just because of his ignorance.

Your edited part, concerning the adapter to connect the Xbox to the Powerbook, wasn't completely right either. It's not a simple adapter that's needed, but video capture hardware, which is more than just an adapter (because the Powerbook only has Video out, no Video in). And it is possible to have the sound, even without extra hardware, because the Powerbook has an Audio in port.
Notice that I didn't call you a liar, even if you were partly wrong, Dude ;-)

To come back to the topic:
without additional hardware, it is not possible to capture the video signal of an Xbox (or any other Video source) with any of the recent Macs (some older ones had build-in Video in ports). For this, video capture hardware is needed, which is nonsense if it is only for using it as display.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I read the whole post, including the edited part, I just think you shouldn't call somebody a liar, just because of his ignorance.
It's called "kidding" or "teasing." Need a dictionary?
Quote:
Your edited part, concerning the adapter to connect the Xbox to the Powerbook, wasn't completely right either. It's not a simple adapter that's needed, but video capture hardware, which is more than just an adapter (because the Powerbook only has Video out, no Video in). And it is possible to have the sound, even without extra hardware, because the Powerbook has an Audio in port.
No sh*t. I made that edit without thinking.
Quote:
Notice that I didn't call you a liar, even if you were partly wrong, Dude ;-)
Couldn't care less.
Quote:
To come back to the topic:
without additional hardware, it is not possible to capture the video signal of an Xbox (or any other Video source) with any of the recent Macs (some older ones had build-in Video in ports). For this, video capture hardware is needed, which is nonsense if it is only for using it as display.
You could yank the display off... :eek:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
It's called "kidding" or "teasing." Need a dictionary?
That's what the emoticons (sorry, "smilies") are for...otherwise, people will take you seriously and get annoyed. They're not just cute little pictures. You just can't tell when somebody's joking in ASCII.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
That's what the emoticons (sorry, "smilies") are for...otherwise, people will take you seriously and get annoyed. They're not just cute little pictures. You just can't tell when somebody's joking in ASCII.
Since you all b*tch so much about the use of one word that was obviosuly a joke, I edited my post.

Happy?
QUOTE Thanks
cakman2

Get a room guys
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Get a clue clueless.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

ok, if it must be done... it is going to cost a few bux... you need to buy a mini-dv deck that supports a vhs vcr to be attacted (3-4grand) buy a very good quality vcr, with composite video ports on the front side, plug in the xbox there. connect the firewire from the dv to the computer and place the dv deck on vcr mode. There now your video from the xbox is on the computer so you can record it if you wish to edit it, but if all you want to do is play it, buy a nice HDTV it is about the same price and is better.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook 15" heat | Any advice for a POWERBOOK newB??? »