New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Slow macbook =(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adri

adri is on a distinguished road

So my macbook is not that old... I bought it off of somebody but it was practically brand new. Up until like a week or two ago, my macbook has been running very slowly. Not SOOOO slow but noticeably slower than before. Startup is fine... but moving between applications and the internet has been slow. And simple things like opening Microsoft Word takes a while. I have only downloaded Adium, Firefox, the Battery Updater, and Coconut Battery. I had also downloaded Limewire to download music but I uninstalled that. Or at least I think I did.

Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer?! Without downloading even moreee things to it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

One thing that could cause it to slowdown is the amount of processors running at a given time. You can check it in the Activity Monitor(Applications/Utilities). If you have too many Startup items remove the unwanted items from
System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items(Corresponding User)

Get rid of unnecessary software. Some time ago I had the same problem. Then I formatted my Mac and installed only the most necessary software.

If you have software which demands lot of system resources, go for extra RAM.

Before doing all that you can try to cleanup the cache and do a full maintenance through Onyx.
QUOTE Thanks
j0nblayz

j0nblayz is on a distinguished road

yeah check whats taking all the process, also check ram, you might be over allocating, might wanna get up 2gb
QUOTE Thanks
adri

adri is on a distinguished road

And what should I do after I check the Activity Monitor?
I just see the regular things I use such as Adium and Safari and some applications on the dock such as Stickies and the Weather.
There are a lot of things that I don't recognize... like HP Product (1.18 MB) and Print Daemon (288 KB)... pbs (248 KB) ... and iTunes Helper (664 KB).
Can I quit process on these things or no?
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Hi adri!

I've used Mainmenu(http://www.santasw.com/) to clean the caches and it made my mac much more speedy. How much ram do you have? Try downloading Mainmenu and see if it helps.

QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

You only really clean out system and user caches if something isn't working properly. Also remember if you do clean up your caches, your system will take longer to load up on startup for about the first 2 times. You my also find that apps run slower for the first 2 times of loading them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blank screen after waking up from sleep | 5400 vs. 7200 »